The online travel market never stands still. The opportunity is huge and the competition is fierce. At Hotels.com, we're in the thick of it. We live and breathe travel. Our technology team is passionate about using the best technology and processes to give our customers the best possible experience when finding hotels for their business or leisure travel needs. We want them to feel the same passion for travel that we do.
Right now, the way we create and run software and process data is changing fundamentally. We're moving from on-premise infrastructure to the cloud, building on some successful early foundations in Amazon Web Services and starting to look seriously at how we can also use alternative cloud providers such as Google Cloud Platform.
As we make this move, it's more important than ever that the management of our infrastructure - including both production servers and elements of our build and deployment pipeline - are well managed and continue to evolve, allowing our development teams to deliver and improve functionality as fast and as smoothly as possible.
We are currently looking for an experienced and highly motivated engineer with knowledge of Linux system administration, build tools, data and cloud development principles to join the Hotels.com technical team.
The business focus of the role is Acquisition Marketing - bringing new customers to Hotels.com through the use of channels such as Search-Engine Marketing and Travel Meta-Search. The main focus initially will be supporting the Data Engineering team, but the role will also support other technical teams with the Acquisition Marketing space.
This is a fantastic opportunity for the right person to make a real impact on a strategic area of focus for the business.
Why build your career at Hotels.com?
- You'll get to work with some spectacular people both from the technology team and wider business
- You'll use a wide range of modern tools to support and deploy processes in a complex, cloud-based environment
- We work hard to create a supportive, collaborative, and fulfilling place where you can progress your career
- We have many of the best bits of a start-up but with the resources of the world's biggest travel company
- We love open source and actively participate in the open source community
- We do hackathons where you can branch out of your usual area to contribute something different and innovative
- We host and speak at meet ups
- We want everyone on our team to have the tools and resources to succeed in their career
- We get to do all of this in a lovely, comfortable office in a nice, central part of London
The DevOps Engineer will work on the definition, deployment and management of infrastructure and software delivery pipelines for Acquisition Marketing development teams.
- Work closely with development teams on best-practice and implementation for pipelines to deliver high-quality software to production environments
- Help ensure that non-functional requirements including performance, logging, monitoring and alerting are handled in a thorough and consistent manner
- Actively manage cloud and on-premise infrastructure, automating and improving common or mission-critical tasks
- Support & advise developers and users on issues related to infrastructure and code deployment
- Feed into architectural decisions around the secure and effective use of cloud and other technologies
- Where appropriate, lead in investigating, trialling and adopting new technologies and ways of working to improve the effectiveness of our technical teams
- Identify, diagnose and resolve issues with infrastructure and deployment pipelines
- Own and manage the relevant relationships with other infrastructure and support teams:
- In the UK, USA, and worldwide
- Within Hotels.com and the wider Expedia group
- Understand and use internally developed software such as Circus Train (a data replication tool), contributing to open-source development if and when required
Experience and Skills
The key skills for the role are:
- Professional experience of Linux systems administration
- Applied knowledge of:
- security principles in managing production infrastructure
- concepts in network and hardware architecture
- Good understanding of:
- Software development lifecycle and associated tools and processes
- Cloud principles and practices
- 'Big Data' tools and distributed systems
There are many other technical skills and tools will be very valuable in the role. However, we understand that technology is fast-moving and that what is really important is the ability to pick up knowledge of the right technologies fast and understand how and in what context they should be used.
You will be expected to have experience of some (not necessarily all) of the following, with further training provided as required:
- Hadoop (& Hive, Spark)
- Python &/or Java
- Software development life-cycle tools for:
- Python (e.g. PyPI, pip)
- Java (Maven)
- optionally Scala (SBT)
- Build tools (Jenkins, Bamboo)
- Workflow and scheduling tools (Airflow, Falcon/ Oozie)
- Cloud platforms (Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform)
- Terraform (or CloudFormation/ other)
- Ansible (or Chef/ Puppet etc.)
- Open-source development models
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/79120513