R&D Programme Analyst
Role: R&D Programme Analyst
Reporting to: Chief Scientist / Programme Director
Location: Manchester or London (with extensive travel)
Upside Energy is looking for a Programme Analyst to join us in our mission to transform the energy system by making it easier to integrate renewable generation onto the grid.
Our cloud platform uses advanced algorithms and artificial intelligence to create a Virtual Energy Store™ by coordinating the energy stored in hundreds of thousands of devices owned by businesses and households across the UK, providing vital flexibility for the energy system for increased security of supply while reducing the cost and environmental impact to energy.
Upside’s development has been supported by significant grant funding from Innovate UK and BEIS (the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy). This has enabled us to develop excellent relationships with a number of universities and research organisations, and to develop a significant portfolio of IP at the core of our systems.
You will be joining a team that is innovative and R&D-focused, with a culture that fosters collaboration, fluidity and the application of fresh and original thinking to the creation of a new energy system. Ideally, you will have experience developing models with tools such as MatLab, Octave, Python and Excel, and a strong track record of supporting and delivering complex projects in a collaborative R&D environment – but more than any specific experience, the most important criteria for success will be your talent, energy and passion to help build and shape the future within a collaborative, agile, community-based environment.
- Develop detailed models of energy consuming/storing equipment such as batteries, hot water tanks, heating systems (e.g. in tools such as MatLab or Octave)
- Develop detailed models of integrated systems containing multiple pieces of equipment, e.g. within a household or commercial site
- Develop financial models of costs and revenue potential of operating such systems over time for delivery of a portfolio of grid balancing services
- Develop models of portfolios of multiple such systems, and their operating characteristics and financial potential over time (e.g. in tools such as Python or Excel)
- Develop simplified models based on the above, e.g. for use by relationship management staff to provide estimates to site owners (e.g. in tools such as Excel)
- Support relationship management staff and portfolio optimisation / tendering staff to use these models to sell services to site owners, energy system customers, etc
Upside Energy is an award-winning UK startup. The energy system is going through dramatic change, and we are positioning Upside to be at the heart of enabling this transformation. We have ambitious plans for growing Upside with expansion into Europe and ultimately, globally.
We believe in a collaborative, flexible work environment based on respect for, and commitment from, every team member. We are fortunate to have an amazing team of individuals who believe in our mission and value openness, collaboration and teamwork, making Upside a great place to work.
Upside Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/79098332