Linux System Administrator: This is a growth role for a talented Linux Systems Administrator to join our IT department at the Ageas head office in Eastleigh. A key element of this Linux Systems Administrator opportunity is to provide multi-sited Linux / Debian / Ubuntu administration and technical support as we look to strengthen and extend the company wide Cloudera Hadoop infrastructure and Linux environment within our Broker division, which brings in c.£1.4bn of revenue each year.
Working with big data and in partnership with external suppliers and BI teams, you’ll take on the development and deployment of strengthening data concepts for all transactions, extending this to include insurance quotes for both car and home insurance products. As the technical lead, this role presents an opportunity to drive and develop big data and Linux and Hadoop based projects as well as mentor apprentices.
You’ll also find yourself sharing your expertise in all 3rd line support activities, agreeing the best course of action for project proposals, reviewing new technologies and designing and building solutions from the ground up, including hardware and software configurations.
Key to your success in this Linux System Administrator opportunity will be your experience in:
- A strong background in a 3rd line technical role with expertise in Linux Operating systems, Hadoop / Red Hat servers.
- A technical understanding of Policy Administration platforms and Windows server environments.
- Debian / Ubuntu knowledge is essential as is Windows Active Directory / Exchange and VMWare.
- A good understanding of IT Technical Services such as iSeries, Network, Desktop and Operations and Wintel.
- An ability to approach and solve problems in a logical manner across multi-sited businesses.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to present and clearly articulate both verbally and in writing to external suppliers, stakeholders and teams.
- Experience of implementing and the administration of Couldera Hadoop Infrastructure, ideally aligning with other infrastructure teams to deploy new hardware and software environments.
- Proven experience of expanding, managing and performance tuning of Hadoop clusters and Linux OS.
- Expertise in driving and leading end to end data integration and BI solutions to set up new Hadoop projects.
- Expertise in building scalable, high performance big data pipeline and workflows that’s capable of processing millions of transactions and real-time customer activities.
- Proven experience of working in partnership with infrastructure, network, database, application and BI teams in providing high data quality availability.
- Setting up Linux users, setting up Kerberos principles and testing HDFS, monitoring Hive, Flume, Hue, Impala, OozIE, Yarn and Zookeeper.
- Proven experience of working in collaboration with server infrastructure teams to install operating systems and application updates, patches and version upgrades.
Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy in the Linux System Administrator role:
A comprehensive range of flexible benefits options such as a company pension, 25 days’ holiday, rising to 27 days after 3 years (you can buy or sell up to 5 days), a car lease scheme, private medical insurance, life assurance, and an annual bonus. Our people receive childcare vouchers and enjoy discounts on company products and with a wide range of retailers & gyms.
About #Ageas UK
We're a leading provider of award-winning insurance solutions in the UK, distributing our Personal and Commercial insurance products through brokers, intermediaries, affinity partners and the internet. We have three consumer brands – Back Me Up, Ageas Elastic and RIAS – and partner with some of the nation’s most well-known brands, such as John Lewis, Age UK, Toyota, Virgin Money and General Motors. We’re also partners in Tesco Underwriting, providing home and motor insurance to Tesco Bank customers. Insuring around five million customers and working with a range of partners, Ageas are recognised for delivering consistent and high-quality customer experiences. We employ around 4,000 people in UK based offices in Manchester, Stoke, Gloucester, Portsmouth, Bournemouth, Eastleigh and London.
This job was originally posted as www.cwjobs.co.uk/job/79150281