Banking Officer - Hackney council
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To provide a high quality efficient banking service for the Council, its Pension Fund and the Council’s schools as required. To be the Officer responsible for ensuring that all bank accounts are reconciled and that service users receive a level of banking service which achieves high standards.
TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR
- To assist the Head of Treasury and Banking in the provision of the functions within the responsibility of the Treasury & Banking Team.
- Contribute to the development of policies, systems and procedures and to work in partnership with other Directorates of the Council to ensure the implementation and application of appropriate practice.
- Liaising with the Council’s Financial Accounting Service to ensure the integrity of accountancy records/management information in respect of the Banking function.
- Support the Head of Treasury and Banking in providing advice to senior management on banking issues and related services ;
SPECIFIC FUNCTIONAL AREAS:
- Providing specialist banking support in the Financial Services team to ensure effective day to day management of the banking functions.
- Handling enquiries and correspondence on banking matters from employees, service managers and external bodies and respond as necessary.
· To assist the Head of Treasury and Banking in the development of strategies, policies, plans and practices to enable effective specification and delivery of banking management services.
- To monitor bank account transactions and highlight possible fraudulent transactions. Investigation of payment/non-payment, duplicate payments etc. for use in court cases/bailiff action, contractual disputes, fraud investigation.
- To reconcile of the Council’s Cash Book to the Council’s Bank Accounts on a weekly basis. Ensure all items of income and expenditure are properly recorded. Reconcile bank accounts to the financial management system. Providing monthly reports for the Head of Treasury and Banking.
- To process online payments in a timely manner facilitating the payment of suppliers on a daily basis and control the processing of receipts from the Council’s Bank Accounts to the Income system.
- Manage the Council’s cheque system arrangements, leading on cancelling and reconciling cheque payments
- Responsibility for a number of banking suspense/holding codes such as Bill payments holding code.
- Undertake Direct Debit and Bacs submissions when requested form services, varying in value from a couple of thousand to hundreds of thousands. Ensuring these are completed accurately and timely with supporting evidence of submission completed.
- To attend meetings with all levels of management and external organisations, providing financial management, procedural and accounting assistance.
- Dealing with internal and external audit queries as and when required on issues within the banking area of responsibility and to ensure that recommendations are met and all enquiries answered.
- To monitor and make recommendations on the process of interfacing financial information and related accounting systems, including systems review and the writing and maintaining of procedure notes to the Head of Treasury and Banking.
- To ensure that daily procedures and documents are in place, and distributed to relevant officers, with regards to business continuity and disaster recovery for banking operations.
- Liaison with external organisations on banking related issues to ensure effective relationships are maintained with such organisations.
- Assume responsibility for assisting in the Closing of Accounts process in respect of banking related issues and specifically Bank Reconciliation
- Super user for Cedar Bank reconciliation system; liaising and working closely to ensure timely and accurate processing of files, identifying and correcting any errors.
- To provide assistance/cover for colleagues within the Treasury and Banking Team.
This Job Description is aimed to be illustrative and is not exhaustive of the duties, which could be contained within this position. The postholder may be asked to undertake duties, which are commensurate with this area of work and grade.
Knowledge: Knowledge of Banking industry and different payment services,
Experience: Banking services.
Qualifications:Practical experience of complex reconciliations and banking operations and systems.
Desirable: CIPFA/AAT or equivalent recognised financial services qualification
People skills and Leadership:
- Highly self-motivated and effective team player
Strategic Thinking and Planning
- Ability to interpret financial information, assess the implications for service areas and ability to research and analyse relevant information for preparing reports.
- Ability to demonstrate a track record of applying strong analytical skills and lateral thinking to develop creative and innovative service solutions
Personal style and behaviours
- Ability to effect service delivery initiatives and projects from inception to implementation, including achievement within set timescales
- Ability to demonstrate highly developed oral, written and presentation skills