Application Support Engineer
Role: Application Support EngineerType: Permanent
Location: Hanger Lane
WE’RE GOING PLACES….
With more than 60 years of history in the bag, ours is a brand with an impressive heritage. Style is well and truly in our blood. As well as UK and Ireland, we are represented globally through our stores in Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Middle East and Asia. Our e-commerce business is helping to set the trend globally, shipping to 125 countries whilst also growing our presence on the world’s leading digital fashion marketplaces.
Our people make all the difference. Just as the River Island name pulls customers in off the high street and inspires them to buy online, our employer brand turns the heads of talented people, inspiring them to join, stay and grow with us.
What will you do as a Application Support Engineer?
Responsible for high-quality analysis, coding, testing and support of software in a collaborative, cross-functional team-based environment in the River Island IT Engineering and Support arena.
WHAT YOU DO MATTERS…
- Analysis of retail application support issues assigned to the 3rd line support team.
- Investigate and fixe production issues / system defects as required.
- Perform data fixes, testing and implementation of required code changes for any identified bugs in an efficient manner.
- Execute fast track and small project work assigned from time to time ensuring quality and timely resolution so as to deliver value for the Business in a iterative fashion.
- Produces solutions that are robust, flexible and able to scale.
- Logging, Prioritising and management of incidents to meet OLA’s and SLA’s
- Manage specific areas of responsibility to achieve service levels Agreements
- Delivery of a friendly, helpful and efficient service to end users
- Log Incidents into the system for resolution
- Manage incidents through to resolution, collaborating with other teams as needed
- Provide hands on assessment and support of application based incidents in line with the business requirements
- Respond as required to 2nd line Application Support team escalations
- Work with 2nd line Application Support team collaboratively
- Implement agreed procedural and functional changes to reduce future incidents
- Capture knowledge from across the IT function and feed in to the Application team to improve support to end users
- Escalate high impact issues with IT management following the agreed escalation procedures
- Contribute to the development and enhancement of team procedures and practice
- Contribute to continuous improvement of the teams processes and practices Communicate appropriately to Business Users and Domain owners on issues and their resolution ensures documentation is up to date and in accordance with standards
- Conducts system performance analysis and optimisation tuning where necessary.
- Produces resolutions of high-quality and with minimal defects.
- Liaises with third party technical project teams where appropriate in relation to package systems implementations, or third party Suppliers/Partners.
WE KNOW WHAT WE’RE DOING… and we know exactly what experience we’re looking for!
We are looking for someone who is passionate about Software engineering, Infrastructure as Code, enjoys sharing knowledge and working closely with development teams, and values testing and reproducibility, as well as figuring out the best way to build systems that are maintainable and easy to comprehend.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience as a 3rd line support analyst or Developer or Software Engineering role.
- Ability to work in a deadline driven environment.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Team player who is also willing to work outside immediate team to deliver on common organizational goals.
Technical skill sets (Required):
- Techniques and features of Oracle 9i/10G/11G/12C
- SQL, PL/SQL
- Linux Shell Scripts
Technical skill sets (Desirable):
- .Net, C#, ASP
- XML, XHTML
- SQL Server
- Source control (ie PVCS), TOAD/SQL Developer, UC4 or similar scheduler
- Project tracking tools such as Jira
- Build and Continuous Integration tooling
- Oracle Retail (RMS), Oracle E-Business suite
- Understanding of Web Services / APIs / Microservices
- Understanding of Data Warehousing Concepts
IT NEVER GETS BORING…
If you are ambitious and love working in a busy environment where every day is new, then River Island is the place to be! As a business, we are committed to developing our talent and offer a fantastic training program to help you optimise your performance and support your career progression with the company.
Our working environment is busy, fast moving and responsive to our customers’ needs, much like our training which is unique to our business and reflective of our fun and refreshing brand and our people within it! Our River Academy offers ongoing training and development by running workshops throughout the year varying from courses focusing on softer skills to the more technical courses you may require to perform your duties.
It’s not all work and no play here either…we all work hard but we also like to have fun too! We are a social bunch and regularly host events ranging from Summer and Christmas parties, bake offs, and lots of charity events!
WE LOOK OUT FOR ONE ANOTHER…and in doing so, we provide great benefits for our employees:
- 50% Staff Discount
- Pension Scheme
- Holiday plus bank holidays
- Interest Free Season Ticket Loan
- Discounted on-site gym membership
- Ride to work scheme
- Staff Shop
- Subsidised canteen
- Free onsite parking