Enterprise Portfolio Lead, Governance, Prince 2, Agile Practitioner, ITIL Foundation,
Your new company
I am recruiting for a very reputable central government department based in Westminster, London.
Your new role
The Portfolio Manager role is a key leadership role within the programme team, providing critical support to the Business Transformation Director, deputising as required. The post holder will need to maintain comprehensive oversight of the programme activities; communicating any programme risks or opportunities.
The Portfolio Manager is responsible for leading a collection of interdependent programmes or projects that contribute to the delivery of departmental or business area objectives. They are primarily responsible for the prioritisation and effective allocation of resources across the portfolio to ensure optimal delivery of
departmental / business strategic objectives in line with government priorities. They will also have primary responsibility for successful delivery of the required outcomes, including the establishment of appropriate governance and assurance, monitoring progress, managing risks and issues and ensuring business readiness
for change. The post holder will be no stranger to programme and project management principles and processes and ideally will have experience of "agile" project management techniques.
What you'll need to succeed
- Experience of successfully managing several medium complexity (and preferably one large) portfolio, with the ability to define and manage the fundamental components of a project in terms of its scope, deliverables, time scales, resource requirements, interdependencies, and budget.
- Experience of operational accountability at a very high strategic level with proven ability to develop persuasive arguments in support of strategic goals.
- Experience of supporting and delivering business change activities with the ability to integrate the project outputs into 'business as usual' (BAU) ensuring that activities are planned and completed to enable the business to implement the change and resilience benefits.
- Experience of managing teams and programme governance, with the ability to clearly define roles, responsibilities and accountabilities and to establish controls and approval routes appropriate to each stage of the project to monitor project progress and compliance.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to prepare, develop, commission and update business cases to justify the initiation and continuation of projects, within a portfolio, in terms of benefits, value for money and risk.
- The ability to establish and develop productive relationships with internal and external stakeholders. Demonstrable experience of managing consultant partners, including sourcing suppliers, contract and budget management, setting delivery objectives and monitoring and managing performance against KPIs.
What you'll get in return
In return for all of the above, you will be given the opportunity to join this highly recognisable government department at an extremely exciting time due to the current political climate. You will also be rewarded with a lengthy contract.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.