Head of Commercial Resolutions
We are responsible for operating, maintaining and improving England's motorways and major A roads. Consider that a third of all traffic, two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and 98% of UK businesses rely on them, and you can see why our roads, and what we do, matters so much.
It's an exciting time to begin a career with Highways England as we invest £11 billion in our motorways and A Roads boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety which why we're so grateful to our c 4,500 employees around the country. When you work with us, you're helping to connect communities, sustain business and support the economy. And with responsibility for major projects, working here is also a great move for your career.
Due to continued growth and investment, we are seeking a technically competent and dynamic commercial manager with significant claims and negotiation experience to lead our commercial resolutions team across our national portfolio.
The successful applicant will;
- Lead the Commercial Services Division Resolution Team, to manage the monitoring and management of contractual issues and disputes providing support and expert advice to senior managers and project delivery teams.
- Lead the development and implementation of improvements to the commercial governance of projects through increased commercial awareness and understanding; to collaborate with commercial colleagues to assist the development of commercial capability within the Division.
Day to day
- Lead and develop the Commercial Resolution Managers in managing crystallized and emerging disputes across all Highways England divisions, giving timely initial and final advice.
- Work closely with HE Counsel and the Government Legal Department to protect HE's commercial position and reputation.
- Lead the team to resolution of contractual issues and disputes; provide expert support to the team in the preparation of advice papers as directed on matters related to dispute and commercial settlement handling within Highways England.
- Represent the resolution team at the Highways England's Dispute Resolution Board (DRB); to own the authoring of resolution papers including authorisation of mandates for any commercial settlements.
- Act as a source of authoritative advice on contract administration, NEC suite of contracts at an expert level, analysis, related intelligence and opportunities for contract performance improvement.
- Analyse, and provide management information and reports to identify trends and address issues proactively. Manage the maintenance of a central dispute case tracker, and attend and actively contribute to peer-review commercial resolution meetings.
- Support audits to lead the continuous improvement of the contractual governance of projects in respect to lessons learned from dispute resolution.
- Forensic collation and analysis of information.
- Provision of advice and case management through legal proceedings
- Provision of advice and support on the merits of possible claims against suppliers and Highways England.
- Coach and support client project managers/sponsors and their teams on the application and interpretation of commercial issues.
- Manage the available resources to deliver challenging targets.
- Drive improvements in health and safety performance ensuring effective practice is promulgated to staff and partners and carry out any tasks identified to the post
- Knowledge and experience of using civil engineering contracts and contract law.
- Knowledge and experience of alternative forms of dispute resolution and legal escalation.
- Civil engineering or construction project or programme management experience
- Significant and demonstrable experience of leading and managing a commercial team at a senior level.
- Proven negotiation skills
- A track record of delivering successful commercial outcomes, linked to the ability to develop constructive working relationships within and across teams and suppliers.
- Significant knowledge of contract management in a highways and/or construction related environment.
- Ability to engage and effectively influence colleagues and stakeholders at all levels and with differing technical understanding
So we can really get to know you and what you can offer please include a CV with your application.
You're also encouraged to include a covering note explaining how you're a great match for us: so please tell us how your skills, experience and qualifications meet both the role, and Highways England, requirements.
We're expecting this role to be popular, so we may need to close the advert early if response is strong so to avoid disappointment, please apply as soon as possible
Help keep England moving. We look forward to hearing from you.
For a full list of our vacancies please apply at .uk/