We are responsible for operating, maintaining and improving England's motorways and major A roads. Consider that a third of all traffic, two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and 98% of UK businesses rely on them, and you can see why our roads, and what we do, matters so much.
It's an exciting time to begin a career with Highways England as we invest £11 billion in our motorways and A Roads boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety which why we're so grateful to our c 4,500 employees around the country. When you work with us, you're helping to connect communities, sustain business and support the economy. And with responsibility for major projects, working here is also a great move for your career.
Highways England are currently seeking a Quanity Surveyor to join our Commercial team based out of Darlington.
Day to day:
Your responsibilities will include;
- Preparation of budget estimates and target prices in line with contract from project inception to target agreement
- Subcontract management including sending enquiry documentation, quotation assessment, task order award and instructions to supply chain where required. Supply Chain Payment assessment including all relevant documentation on a monthly basis.
- Ensure Scheme Cost and value reconciliation is performed to ensure correct cost capture has occurred.
- Management of site level change management including early warning and compensation event management and production, both to the Client and to the supply chain as necessary.
- Prepare scheme forecasts
- Monitor actual cost against targets
- Maintain schemes for, and participate in, audits as and when required
- Review and respond to scheme contractual matters
- Manage own portfolio of works
- Deputise for Senior Quantity Surveyors as and when required
- Supervise work of Assistant/Trainee Quantity Surveyors as and when required
- Attendance and involvement in scheme buildability meetings
- Attendance and involvement in scheme collaborative planning sessions
- Review completed designs for Commercial and Contractual compliance
- Provide assistance to other departments as and when required
To be successful in this role you will have;
- A Degree in Civil Engineering, Commercial Management or Quantity Surveying or equivalent
- Working towards membership of a relevant professional body
- Post qualification/graduation experience
- IT competence with word, excel, outlook etc
- Excellent communication skills
- Good commercial awareness
- Trustworthy and open
So we can really get to know you and what you can offer please include a CV with your application.
You're also encouraged to include a covering note explaining how you're a great match for us: so please tell us how your skills, experience and qualifications meet both the role, and Highways England, requirements.
We're expecting this role to be popular, so we may need to close the advert early if response is strong so to avoid disappointment, please apply as soon as possible.