Big Data Engineer - Java - Scala
Big Data Engineer (Java and/or Scala) in Investment Management. Salary £80,000 to £100,000, Bonus 30%+
A globally renowned and respected Investment Manager are interviewing now for this exciting new role - apply now, don't miss out!
- This position is for a data-centric developer with Java or Scala experience within finance or global technology firm.
- You will develop tools and provide support to Portfolio Managers and Risk Managers that allow them to make better investment decisions.
- You will play a key role in the development and extension of the existing data warehouse and analysis platform to help tackle emerging big data & data science use cases. These include: providing ad-hoc investment data analysis to business users, providing firm-wide, enterprise reporting to senior management, providing accurate risk monitoring and risk scenario analysis to senior PMs and Risk Managers,
- You will get exposures to business users who manage money and risk and will be expected to learn their investment process and help enhance the platform and tools to better support their investment decisions. The team follows an agile - scrum process and shares responsibility for delivering high quality, reliable innovations to end users internally and externally.
- The role will require a mix of strong technical skills, effective team-work & communications and solid financial domain knowledge
Essential Skills Required
- Strong core Java8 and/or Scala development (with Functional Programming and Multi-Threaded or Distributed computing expertise)
- Strong Big Data Experience (Spark or Hadoop or Cassandra/NoSQL)
- Good DB development skills including: SQL, Star Schemas, ETL
- Good understanding of financial concepts and some exposure (or enthusiasm for): financial modelling, investment risk or other quantitative investment experience.
- Good communication and team-working skills
Desirable Skills (at least three needed - others will be gained on the Job)
- Experience with a visualization tools like: Tableau, Spotfire, BIRT, Qlik
- Experience with Spark (SQL, Streaming and/or Machine Learning)
- Expertise in Hadoop and/or HBASE/HIVE
- Expertise in Cassandra or other NoSQL DBs
- Star Schemas and data warehousing
- Experience with Excel & VBA
- Agile development, TDD, Scrum
- Scala or other Functional Programming experience
This is a great opportunity for the right candidate to get a broad mix of skills and there will be ample opportunity to advance their career along three directions:
- New technology - gain exposure to emerging Big Data and Data Science related tools such as Spark, Scala, and Cassandra.
- Career progression - there are opportunities and management support to progress over time into team leadership, technical management and eventually people management for those who demonstrate the desire and ability to do so
- Experience in data development with Java or Scala
- Experience working in as a technologist within global technology or investment firm
- Alternative experience will be considered if the essential skills are met (e.g. from a global financial, technology or consulting firm).
- It is also expected that the candidate will hold a high-calibre technical or quantitative degree from a reputable university.
INTERESTED? Apply now, don't miss out!