Key Job Responsibilities
The Altair software development team delivers a highly successful, market-leading pensions administration software product. You would be working with multiple feature teams using the principles of Scrum to develop high quality software to deliver agreed business priorities.
As a Scrum Master your role will be to do whatever it takes to make your Feature Team(s) successful, such as removing organizational impediments, facilitating meetings, and protecting the teams. You would be working to;
- Help the Teams become self-organised and cross-functional
- Maximise the sustained output and quality of the teams
- Assist the teams to continually improve
- Maintain team’s motivation
- Coach the Product Owners and Teams in the Scrum values, practices, and rules
- Educate others outside the teams about how the Teams are working
- Remove impediments to the teams’ progress
- Organisational change agent
- Facilitate teams’ meetings
- Act as a servant leader rather than manager
Driving Adoption of Agile
- Drive, motivate and inspire the Scrum Team and wider programme to adopt innovative solutions that reduce the cycle time to market.
- Reduce waste such as manual tasks, rework and defects in order to provide a more efficient process and improve customer experience.
- Coach the Feature Teams in the use of Scrum. This includes coaching and supporting the Product Owners in refining the product backlog and challenging the ROI of features. Support the constant grooming of the backlog to ensure stories are 'INVEST’ in structure (Independent, Negotiable, Valuable, Estimatable, Sized correctly and Testable).
- Facilitate Sprint planning, Scrums, Sprint Reviews and Sprint Retrospectives.
- Influence the Product Owners to provide feedback and data on feature performance in the live environment
- Drive the continuous improvement of the development pipeline to remove waste and inefficiency.
- Facilitate retrospectives on a frequent basis to identify problems and continuous improvement solutions
- Conduct analysis of metrics and performance data to identify root cause issues and then own the resolution of those issues.
- Ensure sustained adoption of changes by embedding them within the teams’ processes and ways for working
- Measure the velocity of teams in order to drive increases in productivity and efficiency
- Constantly review the end to end delivery pipeline, identifying and implementing changes that reduce the cycle time to market.
- Motivate the team to adopt new automation and quality processes to increase velocity.
Issue Resolution & Problem Solving
- Drive out root cause identification through tools such as fishbone analysis and A3 problem solving. This involves complex data collection and analysis, metrics identification and cross-domain understanding. This complex analysis covers the entire development pipeline including requirements gathering, development metrics, QA metrics, technology environments, deployment processes and data from the live environment and analytics.
- Facilitate team and cross-team communication and analysis for resolving issues
- Act as organizational change agent to improve ways of working
- Communicate with senior colleagues and stakeholders to manage expectations and gain budget or resource support to remove issues and introduce innovation.
- Engage with multiple teams and disciplines to resolve issues in a timely manner
- Use effective stakeholder management and strong communication to ensure the correct priority and resources are available to resolve the issue.
Ways of Working
- On a daily basis constantly focus on removing risks and impediments from the programme of work. Working both within the Feature Team and across teams, identify, describe, prioritise, analyse and remove risks and impediments from the programme
- Continuously drive the maturing and continued complexity of the Definition of Done.
- Reduce the gap between the Definition of Done and Deployment to live by working within the Scrum Team and with other disciplines such as deployment operations.
- Facilitate strong communication across the other teams within the programme in order to understand risks and dependencies that will affect the Scrum Team’s performance, deliverables and timelines.
Stakeholder Management and Reporting
- Communicate and negotiate with Product Owners and Senior Management where appropriate to ensure that delivery expectations are managed, scope is correctly prioritised, resources are provided and issues resolved efficiently to ensure a smooth development pipeline of delivery.
- On a daily basis remove risks and impediments from the programme through issue resolution, the creation of spikes, or the re-ordering of the Product Backlog
- For each Sprint provide end of sprint data and reports for all Scrum artefacts
- Communicate all unexpected issues and impediments as rapidly as possible to a focussed audience to ensure rapid flow of information and decision-making.
- Conduct trend analysis on key data points to support continuous improvement and the removal of future impediments and waste.
Dependency & Risk Management
- Maintain a dependency map of all risks and impediments related to your Scrum Teams’ backlog. These dependencies are cross-team, architectural, governance, source control, parallel project activities, production support and matrix resource dependencies.
- Ensure the Scrum team fully understands the overall programme of work, the deployment schedule, project and resource dependencies.
- Communicate issues, bottlenecks and risks to delivery within the Scrum Team, across the programme and to senior management.
Requirements to Travel
- Based in Altrincham
Qualifications / Education
- Certified Scrum Professional or equivalent (i.e. Scrum or Scrum Alliance qualifications)