Business Development Trustee
About the organisation
Reach Volunteering are currently working with Guts UK in the recruitment of a Business Development Trustee.
Previously known as Core, Guts UK is the only medical research charity that covers all digestive conditions of the gut, liver and pancreas, from top to tail. Guts UK is uniquely placed as the sister charity of the British Society of Gastroenterology – the digestive health of the nation is in their hands. With our new name, brand and improved outreach, Guts UK will be the voice for those who feel their digestive condition is not understood or taken seriously enough. Guts UK can raise the banner for all digestive disorders to remove stigma, raise awareness and promote important conversations free from fear, shame and embarrassment. Guts UK understands the importance of healthy guts. If the gut works, life works. We are fascinated with the workings of “the inner tube of life” and by bringing the urgency of the patients’ need alongside the expertise of health professionals, together we can understand more and help others
About the role
As with most charities in the current financial climate, income generation poses a challenge to Guts UK. Whilst the organisation is in a strong position financially, our plans for growth and development will require us to look carefully at our business model. As with most charities, we are interested in developing new avenues of funding through grant-giving organisations and high-net worth donors, however, we are equally keen to explore the possibilities presented by corporate engagement, partnerships and collaborations. For this reason, we are looking for someone who can see the bigger picture when it comes to income generation.
The business development trustee will play an important, entrepreneurial role within the trustee board, scoping out opportunity and seeking to make connections between Guts UK and other public, private, charitable and academic organisations.
- A good understanding of business and companies and how they can support charitable activities.
- A good understanding of sponsorship and other resource generation opportunities and business development.
- Good experience and knowledge of corporate and business partnerships with charities and/or social enterprise business development background and/or having run a medium size business.
- An understanding of the challenges facing small to medium UK charities in making links with donors, businesses and companies.
- Experience at senior level in having run a successful business and demonstrable entrepreneurial expertise.
- Excellent networking, influencing and communication skills.
- High level knowledge and contacts within business.
- Knowledge of the charity and voluntary sector and/or social enterprise.
- An understanding of the UK charity sector, good governance, Charity Commission, Companies House requirements, relevant legislations and statutory requirements.
On average, it is estimated that this role will require 8 hours per month. Trustees are expected to attend four board meetings per year with some strategy days.
How to apply
Applications must be made via TrusteeWorks in the first instance. To apply, please submit your CV along with a covering letter stating why you wish to join the organisation, how your skills would add value to the board and any other relevant information.
If you wish to receive further information about the role then please request a copy of the candidate pack.
Apply for Business Development Trustee
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly