Substation Electrical Design Engineer
We are seeking to recruit an ElectricalDesign Engineer to assist the Engineering Design Team to prepare electrical, protection/ control, mechanical and civil designs for schemes to construct, extend or modify electricity substations energised at up to 132,000 volts. The team assists network design colleagues with the assessment of substation options and develops selected schemes from a broad engineering brief into a fully specified build package for delivery via internal and external construction teams. The team comprises 63 Design staff, primarily based at offices in Pegasus, Tipton, Bristol and Cardiff. It handles in excess of 400 active design commissions at any time ranging in capital value from £50k to £5,000k
Duties will involve:-
- Design of outdoor terminal and indoor substations
- Design of schemes of protection and control for substation projects
- Provision of expert substation engineering advice to the WPD business and to contractors, consultants and customer
The appointee will be expected to:-
- Act as lead designer on a wide portfolio of substation engineering projects
- Rapidly identify and evaluate the protection and control and implications of alternative scheme variants/ options
- Brief colleagues, customers, independent connection providers and external consultants onsubstation engineering matters
- Regularly represent the Engineering Design team at project-specific meetings
- Assist in the technical development of junior team members
- Identify where project-specificdesign work can best be carried out by junior team membersand manage and technical output of colleagues accordingly
- Provide technica contribution to the development of substation design standards
You will also be involved with:-
Formulation of control/protection and SCADA schemes for substation projects (preparation of schematics, cable schedules, wiring diagrams and the like, primarily for interfacing items of electrical plant and protection).
Physical design of indoor and open-terminal substations (preparation of substation layouts and associated detailed mechanical drawings/ schedules)
- Preparation of detailed engineering drawings/ diagrams in an AutoCAD environment
You will need to have design experience compatible with at least one of the above disciplines as well as the engineering skills to support this. Extensive experience of preparing and manipulating engineering drawings using computer-aided design tools (eg AutoCAD) will be a significant benefit to your application. You will have good communication skills and the ability to manage multiple diverse projects simultaneously.
Candidates should be qualified to higher national certificate level, or equivalent in an engineering discipline. Good communication skills and a proven ability to manage multiple diverse projects simultaneously are also essential. An ability to use a CAD design package would be an advantage. Applicants should hold a full UK driving licence.
If you think you would be suitable for this role please apply today