Quality & Continuous Improvement Manager
Defence Manufacturing Sector
Role is based in Lincoln
Circa £48,000 plus benefits
Relocation Assistance May Be Available
Our client, is an accredited ISO 9001/ ISO 14001 business, which forms part of a well-respected, profitable and dynamic group. Recognised as a leading niche supplier of specialised munitions and related equipment, they boast a diverse international customer base and have an enviable reputation for their performance, agility, product quality and innovative designs.
Working as a key member of the senior management team and reporting directly to the Managing Director; the main purpose of the role is to assume responsibility for ensuring an effective Quality Management system is put in place and the coordination of all continuous improvement activities and initiatives within the business.
Your primary responsibility will be to create an effective and sustainable company culture which respects the company’s quality policies and objectives;ensuring it can achieve “best in class” quality standards. This will encompass the proactive development and implementation of organisational strategies, policies and practices in order to ensure that the business meets with third party accreditations and continuously looks towards improving its working methods.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop and implement an effective Quality Management System (QMS) meeting with the requirements of IS9001:2008; ensure effective procedures are effectively implemented.
- Lead and manage a small team of Quality Engineers/ Technicians.
- Work with external 3rd party assessors to ensure the company meets external approvals.
- Chair and manage quality management reviews, manage and report business KPI’s.
- Own and drive site Continuous Improvement activities; bring about step changes in the businesses’ responsiveness to cultural change and innovation.
- Work with the Production and R&D departments to coordinate continuous improvement initiatives using statistical monitoring of key production activities.
- Work with the Operations Manager to ensure vendors are selected and monitored (supplier audits) in line with the company’s quality management system and values.
- Manage the inspection of raw materials “goods in articles” and finished goods; record all results.
- Work with the sales team and customers to ensure customer relationships are managed. Facilitate reports to customers and the internal management team.
- Monitor and manage product defect reports and customer complaints.
- Implement the right processes and rigorous procedures to further improve reliability, efficiency and quality. Promote the speed of innovation, improve product lines, enhance KPI’s and release “hidden costs”.
- Identify a sustainable plan of continuous improvement activities by raising the technical capability of individuals and teams alike through a culture of CI, learning & development, efficiency improvements and best practice implementation.
- Clearly communicate CI activities and monitor progress against the overall CI plan.
- Ensure the company operates and develops its products to be “Reach” compliant, meeting industry regulations and guidance.
- Develop and manage compliance of an Environmental management system which meets with ISO14001. Ensure audits are completed and the business maintains high operating standards.
- Working with senior managers and the Managing Director to work as directed on specific projects which meet with the needs of the business to perform its duties.
- Manage and coordinate an effective calibration system ensuring compliance with regulatory bodies and key measurement equipment is in calibration.
- Minimum HNC, preferably degree level in Engineering (mechanical), alternatively a Materials/Science discipline with relevant manufacturing/quality engineering exposure.
- A background in the defence/munitions sector, including a general knowledge of ammunition or pyrotechnics would be of particular interest; however a strong technical background with exposure to energetic materials in an explosives handling/hazardous/COMAH environment would also be of interest.
- Previous quality management systems experience, ideally working to AS9100 and AQAP standards; demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of quality assurance principles, methods (TQM, Six Sigma, TPM, 5S,lean techniques), standards, design, testing, audit reports and implementation.
- A strong track record of CI/Operational excellence – able to challenge/ coach the established site team and implement changes in order to maximise efficiencies.
- Ability to understand manufacturing processes, methods and manufacturing techniques within a highly responsive SME environment.
- Strong Project Management skills and confidence in front of customers – understand their requirements and show an appreciation of business demands.
- Key personal skills include:- initiative, flexibility, confidence, good communication skills, attention to detail, ability to keep and maintain records, problem solving, time management, ability to work under pressure and multi task.
- Experience in Health & Safety Management, Environmental standards and implementation of ISO 18001 is desirable.
- Strong leadership, supervisory and organisational skills – possess the ability to work within a team environment or on a stand-alone basis.
- A collaborator, able to build strong cross functional working relationships with other departments and communicate effectively with individuals at all levels.
- Strong troubleshooting skills, including an understanding of root cause analysis as well as the ability to assimilate information and adopt a “common sense” approach to problem solving.
- Have good judgement, decision making and influencing skills
- Strong IT literacy skills, able to use computer applications effectively, in particular MS Excel, Access and Sage.
- You will be expected to harness a working environment which encourages team work, energy and creativity.