· To assist and when necessary deputise for the Headmistress in leading and manging the School efficiently and effectively, to provide the highest quality of education for each child in the School.
The Deputy Head works with the Headmistress to develop the vision and strategic view of the School, which includes:
· To support the vison, ethos, and objectives of the school fully and actively.
· Developing an effective working relationship with the Proprietor, Headmistress, Senior Management Team (SMT) and all staff.
· Being an active member of the SMT.
· Taking a lead role in the school’s self-evaluation process, monitoring progress towards curricular and other targets with specific responsibility for literacy and mathematics.
· Working with the Headmistress, Proprietors and staff in the formulation and effective delivery of the Schools Development Plan (SDP).
· Assisting the Headmistress in the appointment of staff.
· Co-ordinating and monitoring the systems of cover of absent colleagues.
· Attending all staff meetings relating to the role.
· Attending other school events during the year e.g. parent workshops.
· Undertaking such additional duties or professional responsibilities as might reasonably be requested by the Headmistress.
· Monitoring, evaluating and reviewing the effects of the School’s policies, priorities and targets and making appropriate recommendations for updating and changes to the Headmistress.
Teaching and Learning:
The Deputy Head aims to secure and sustain effective teaching and learning throughout the School which includes:
· Modelling high standards in what constitutes outstanding classroom practice.
· Take part in co-ordinating the curriculum throughout the School including lesson observations, work scrutiny and development reviews.
· Supporting the Headmistress in leading strategies aimed at raising standards and achievements throughout the School.
· Managing the quality and effectiveness of the curriculum through the co-ordination of teaching and learning throughout the school, and spreading good practice of effective teaching and learning styles.
· Maintain an overview of the pupil assessment, recording and monitoring across the School.
· Supporting the co-ordination of SEN through-out the School.
· Being prepared to teach in any age group in school in both planned and unplanned situations.
· Organising a programme of educational trips for the children.
· Keeping abreast of global innovations ad build learning into the School’s curriculum.
· Creating an environment in which pupils can learn to the full extent of their capabilities.
· Keeping in close contact with parents and being available to meet with them, where appropriate, to discuss their child’s progress or welfare.
· Sending parents regular information about the school and providing reports on their child’s work and progress. Ensuring parents have the opportunities to discuss these reports with appropriate staff.
· Holding Parents’ evenings each term involving all class teachers.
· Determining, organising and implementing an appropriate curriculum for the School.
· Ensuring that Teachers use personalised learning for all Pupils to allow them to achieve their full potential.
· Developing the school timetable to optimise available resources.
Leadership and management:
The Deputy Head motivates, supports, challenges and develops teachers, which includes:
· Participating in the recruitment and selection of teaching staff.
· Planning, allocating, supporting and evaluating work undertaken by groups, teams and individuals, ensuring clear delegation and devolution of responsibilities.
· Implementing and sustaining effective systems for the management of performance, incorporating appraisal and target setting.
· Lead, co-ordinate and monitor the continuing professional development of teachers based on assessment of needs and in relation to the standards for qualified teacher status.
· Ensure that professional duties are fulfilled.
· Develop good working relationships with the Headmistress, Proprietor, Senior Leadership Team, Pupils, Parents and the wider community.
· Undertake other duties and projects as required by the Headmistress.