Full Time or Part Time
RAF High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire
£18,000 - £24,000 (pro-rata)
As the Royal Air Force charity embedded within the serving RAF community, the RAF Central Fund provides approximately £5m of charitable support annually to the serving RAF family worldwide, principally through the charity’s grant making programmes. Grant applications range from a few hundred pounds to multi-million pound capital projects.
An exciting opportunity has arisen within the Fund for a confident, self-motivated Finance Assistant to support all aspects of the charity’s work and development through the provision of strong financial assistance.
Working as a member of the Fund’s small team, the Finance Assistant will maintain the Fund’s financial records on SAGE, act as the principle administrator of the charity’s bank accounts and process the charity’s monthly payroll on SAGE payroll. In addition to utilising existing bookkeeping skills, working directly alongside the Finance and Operations Manager provides the Finance Assistant with the opportunity to develop wider financial management, planning and control skills.
The successful applicant will have experience of SAGE accounting and payroll packages, be able to demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills and enjoy working on their own initiative.
The Finance Assistant will be generally based at the Fund’s office at the Clare Charity Centre in Saunderton, however will additionally be required to work at our registered office at HQ Air Command, RAF High Wycombe. The role will also involve travel to other RAF Stations, both within the UK and occasionally overseas. A full clean UK driving licence is essential for this position.
The position is offered on a permanent full-time (37.5 hours per week) or part-time basis (22.5 hours per week). Some flexibility on hours and days worked is feasible.
Working as a member of a small team, the Finance Assistant will work closely with the Finance & Operations Manager on all matters regarding the financial management, planning, control and reporting of the RAF Central Fund.
- Ensure the accurate maintenance of the financial records on SAGE for the charity in order to provide timely and relevant information.
- Assist with the update of the chart of accounts and SAGE reporting tools to maximise reporting functionality.
- Provide administrative support to the charity including the processing of all receipts and payments including the preliminary review of authorisation of expenditure by budget holders.
- To act as an administrator of the bank account and principle processor of bank payments.
- Act as a primary point of contact for account or payment queries from suppliers, grant recipients or other third parties as required.
- Manage and reconcile the bank and key balance sheet control accounts.
- Assisting in the production of the Trustees Annual Report and supporting financial statements.
- Calculation and processing of monthly salary/PAYE/NI via SAGE Payroll.
- To attend Finance Committee meetings and document key information and decisions as required.
- Assist with the formulation and implementation of policies and procedures relating to the finance of the charity
- Assist with the production of budgets, financial plans and other such financial information as deemed required to manage the charity.
- To assist with compliance to all statutory responsibilities including filing with the Charity and Gambling Commissions.
- To provide external auditors with such assistance and information they may reasonable require in the conduct of their annual audit.
- Other duties as may be reasonably required.
This role profile is not exhaustive and is subject to review in conjunction with the post holder according to future developments in the charity.
- Experience in the use of SAGE
- Experience of maintaining accounting ledgers and running accounts to trial balance level
- Assisting with or the production of management accounts
- Processing of bank payments and receipts via online banking systems
- Excellent IT software skills, particularly Word and Excel
- Well organised, efficient and accurate
- Able to maintain confidentiality and deal with sensitive information
- Articulate with good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage a varied workload against deadlines and agreed timetables
- Ability to maintain controls within the organisation to ensure financial probity
- Ability to work independently across multiple physical sites with minimal time management
- AAT qualified/part qualified CAAB
- Some experience of the charitable sector
- An understanding of the Charities SORP and charitable statutory account formats
- Experience of working with grant making organisations
- Knowledge of Charity and Gambling Commission mandatory reporting requirements
- Ability to improve controls within the organisation to ensure financial probity
Due to the nature of the position it will be necessary to obtain Security Clearance prior to the successful applicant being offered employment.
The closing date for applications is noon on 13 Mar 2017. If you have not received a response from the Fund within 5 working days of this date, your application will not have been successful.
Candidates wishing to apply are requested to forward their current CV and brief covering letter.