Financial Controller, mandarin speaking, consumer products company!
Our client is a successful product design company that supplies their products to a large number of leading retailers including John Lewis, Accessorize and Tesco.
They are looking for a qualified accountant, ideally with Mandarin, to take the role of Financial Controller within the team. This role would suit someone with international retail or supply chain experience, who loves what they do and approaches their day with an outgoing personality and entrepreneurial style.
As Finance Controller, you will oversee and manage all financial aspects of company operations and be responsible for the flow of financial information to the Directors.
This role sits as part of the Senior Management team and will involve you assisting with the commercial, strategic and operational aspects of the business in order to drive growth in EBITDA and operational effectiveness.
Specific early challenges and responsibilities include managing margins, resources and working capital through a sustained period of rapid growth; contributing to the design and implementation of a mid-office ERP system; designing and implementing new business processes and reports; developing the web-based Xero accounting system and consolidation routines; and managing a growing finance team located in London, Hong Kong and China.
Your key responsibilities for this role are as follows:
Strategy and Operations
- Responsible for the formulation and evaluation of strategic plans, budgets and forecasts for the group within set timelines
- Responsible for all group monthly management information, Board reporting and statutory financial reporting which will be distributed within set timelines
- Managing, evaluating and negotiating external relationships with auditors, bankers and other strategic partners
- Access and evaluate investment opportunities and provide considered and balanced recommendations
- Ownership of the accurate design and creation of financial management information and interpretation of that information on behalf of the organisation as a whole including defining and reporting of Key Performance Indicators.
- Responsible for group cash management
- Develop and monitor existing systems and introduce new systems and processes to increase the company’s financial efficiency and reduce costs and maintain integrity
- Work closely with the CFO when building budgets and forecasts to ensure accuracy of data and strategic operational information.
- Responsible for the company administration including insurance and legal matters
Team Management and Leadership
- Oversee, direct, and organise the work of the UK, Hong Kong and China Finance team
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Endorse strong internal communication policies between all teams through use of weekly VC meetings and regular updates
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach
- Ensure staff members receive timely and appropriate training and development
- Monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct quarterly and annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments.
- Communicate and implement any changes to company strategy to your team
- Develop and share best practice amongst all territories
In this Financial Controller role, you should have the following personal profile:
- Absolute integrity
- Highly numerate with exemplary technical expertise
- High analytical skills - including capability to conduct robust investment analysis and provided a balanced and considered opinion.
- An influencer with real empathy and able to communicate clearly presented and financially informed commercial arguments
- Diplomatic and composed, but forthright; able to present views persuasively but in a non-confrontational way
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial approach
- Flexible; able to fit into small-team environment
- Self-motivated and able to direct own work thus being proactive rather than reactive
- First class communicator, in person and on paper with the ability to gain the trust of all stakeholders
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Proactive and results orientated with the determination to see projects through from start to finish
- Educated to Degree level
- ACCA or other appropriate accounting qualification with at least 5 years post qualification experience
- Senior financial management experience in well-managed business
- Previous board level position is preferable, but not essential
- Knowledge of Xero Accounting System and consolidation tools would be ideal
- Experience of managing an international team
For a confidential conversation about this Financial Controller role please contact Louisa Mordaunt and send your CV today!