Retail Director - Excel
ExCel is the UK’s leading convention and exhibition centre. We cater for over 300 events per year, meeting a hugely diverse range of requirements. From a fine dining experience for thousands of delegates, to an on-the-go lunch for an exhibitor team, we operate on all scales with outstanding care in every service area. Our business is growing and we are creating new and exciting possibilities every day through our partnership with our client, event organisers and exhibitors.
Part of our growth within ExCeL is our retail business. We have recently completed a major project to open and operate 2 new restaurants, 7 refurbished and rebranded new ‘food to go’ offerings within the boulevard (the heart of the building) alongside delivering innovative ‘in-hall’ solutions, which complements our already established great reputation for catering within exhibitions and conference areas.
This high profile opportunity is focused on consolidating the outputs from the recent refurbishments and then taking the business forward to meet and exceed business targets. The specific remit of this role covers 3 distinct areas, namely;
- Our catering for restaurants, coffee carts and other bespoke food offers as requested by clients within exhibitions.
- Our 7 ‘food to go’ units within the boulevard, which vary in size and complexity of offering.
- A small number of seated restaurant and coffee shop units, also situation within the boulevard.
The role of Director of Retail Catering is a fabulous senior opportunity for an accomplished food and beverage professional to inspire and lead a team of circa 30 people to optimise the sales and profitability of each outlet underpinned by a structured approach, to focus on compliance with relevant company policies, standards and employment principles.Package description
£60,000 per annum plus bonus.Main responsibilities
- Delivery of consistent and exceptional service standards to achieve and ideally exceed agreed unit targets and grow our reputation for legendary customer service.
- Close and detail liaison with exhibition hall clients to scope, plan and deliver their bespoke requests.
- Liaison with 3rd party supplier and contractors to underpin effective service delivery.
- Responsible for the recruitment, retention and development of a team of managers, supervisors and frontline staff, providing inspirational leadership
- Commercially accountable for all aspects of the outlets, actively working with financial colleagues to deliver accurate and timely forecasts, budges and P&L’s.
- Analysis of performance statistics to identify opportunities for growth.
- Liaising with culinary and marketing specialist colleagues to implement continuous product development and drive footfall.
- A natural leader, with senior management experience to inspire operational teams to deliver results – min 5 years experience at F&B management level (essential)
- Confidently able to manage a mixed portfolio of outlets across both event catering and fixed units.
- Multi site / outlet management essential..
- Senior management presence to engage with peers and functional specialists, so that all are focused on delivering a consistently great product.
- Positive and passionate focus on food – a natural flare for hospitality.
- Experienced in leading the implementation of change programmes to deliver operational benefits.
- Comfortable working within brand guidelines to deliver results.
- Experience in fast paced food outlets.
- Excellent communications skills – able to influence all stakeholder levels.
- Experience of working with a client group.
- Previous P&L accountability and strong financial knowledge.
- Exudes confidence, energy and charisma.
- Demonstrates flexibility and agility.
- Calm and structured approach, coupled with resilience and problem-solving skills.
- Entrepreneurial spirit.
Levy Restaurants UK is the sports, leisure and hospitality sector of Compass Group UK& I and British partner to Levy Restaurants US. A hospitality market leader, Levy Restaurants provides individual character to each of its clients including Twickenham Experience, Tom’s Kitchen at Somerset House and The O2, through focusing on delicious food, great atmosphere and legendary service.
Retail Director, General Manager, Head of Retail