Junior Legal Secretary, Guildford
7 days left
- Full Time
There are five specific core areas of responsibility that the secretary will be required to provide.
- Administrative Support
- Carry out management of post (internal and external), including replying and drafting replies to routine correspondence.
- Opening new client and new matter files, drafting engagement letters.
- Update contracts and client details as necessary on LawSoft.
- Regular assistance in putting together basic presentations/pitches.
- Manage all filing activities, including opening new files, filing (including lawyer generated emails), on-line email filing, archiving and sending files for storage.
- Organise couriers
- Organise all travel arrangements (including obtaining train tickets).This includes printing online timetables for trains etc., maps, directions and routes.
- Managing emails, detaching large files from emails, making sure inbox does not fill up and block incoming emails; occasionally releasing spam emails and deleting/keeping as appropriate; bulk printing of emails and attachments.
- Internet research on companies / clients / other law firms / biographies etc., occasional requests to find law articles etc.
- Companies House online searches and 192.com checks.
- Occasional flexibility over staying after hours to complete urgent work.
- Undertake photocopying/scanning.
- Team Support
- Ensure detailed handover notes are provided so other team members can assume task responsibility in job holders absence.
- To provide cover on a rota basis for other secretaries during the lunch period.
- Diary/Meeting management
- Keep the lawyers diary up to date using Outlook and ensure it is available for others to view.
- Arrange internal and external meetings.
- Ensure lawyers whereabouts is known and communicated to team at all times.
- Document management/document production
- Provide comprehensive and timely word processing service for the creation, amendment of documents using Word, Excel, DeltaView and other relevant technology i.e. PowerPoint and on line services. The firm uses digital dictation.
- Ensuring documents returned to the lawyer accurately reflect original request before returning work.
- Prepare, collate, paginate, and index legal documents and bundles for the Home Office and Employment Tribunals.
- Client Support
- Ensure the names of clients are known and the job holder is established as the point of contact in lawyers absence on a day to day basis. Taking messages and dealing with simple client queries.
- Preparation of bills and support of the billing process e.g. ensuring that the bill is sent within agreed time and answering simple client queries, arranging credit notes and payment of disbursements using the practice management system Lawsoft.
- Payment of disbursements including Counsel fees.
- Undertake online client searches.
- Calls to the Home Office and tribunals as and when required.
- Maintaining the online filing (and paper filing) of knowhow for the whole department
- Assisting in production of the weekly employment bundle.