About the organisation
Age UK Mid Devon supports older people (50 plus years) in the district to improve their quality of life. We provide information and advice on housing, health and social care, the local community and welfare benefits. We also provide a range of services for older people including day centre services, foot care, walking football and volunteer visiting. A men in sheds service is also currently being developed.
By providing these services we tackle loneliness and isolation, build community networks, maximise income, support older people through changing circumstances and improve their health and wellbeing.
Age UK Mid Devon is seeking a Treasurer to join their board. We are seeking candidates who, in addition to providing their specialist financial skills, will also provide their strategic oversight and help to develop the five year strategic plan of the organisation. This role will have a significant impact on the organisation’s ability to continue its work.
Trustees will also get the opportunity to see the work of the organisation first hand, work alongside like minded individuals and will have the chance to be an ambassador for the charity.
- Monitor the financial standing of the charity and reports to the Board and CEO regarding cash-flow forecasting, income streams, out-going expenses and the overarching strategic management of the organisation’s financial resources.
- Oversee the charity’s financial risk-management process and report financial health to the board of trustees at regular intervals.
- Acts as a counter signatory on cheques and applications to funders and ensure that annual accounts are submitted to all relevant regulators in a timely fashion.
- Liaising with external auditors on financial issues and ensuring that the organisations finances are responsibly managed/invested for the betterment of the organisation’s work and for the beneficiaries it serves.
- Proven financial management qualifications, skills and expertise.
- Knowledge of charity SORP and impending changes.
- Proven ability to communicate and explain financial information to members of the Board and other stakeholders.
- Commitment to the organisation.
- Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to attend meetings and away days.
- Strategic vision.
- Good, independent judgement.
- Ability to think creatively.
- Willingness to speak your mind and to provide challenge to proposals where necessary
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
- A team-oriented approach to problem solving and to management.
- Willing to act as the charity’s ambassador to external bodies, charities and companies.
- Previous work with vulnerable adults.
6 board meetings a year, an induction which takes a day/day and a half to complete and an away day for 1-2 days. Board meetings are held at the organisation’s premises: The Haven Centre, Broad Lane, Tiverton, EX16 5HE
How to apply
Applications must be made via Reach in the first instance. In order to apply please submit your CV along with a covering letter stating why you wish to join the organisation, how your skills would add value to the board and any other relevant information.