About the organisation
Age UK Mid Devon supports older people (50 plus years) in the district to improve their quality of life. We provide information and advice on housing, health and social care, the local community and welfare benefits. We also provide a range of services for older people including day centre services, foot care, walking football and volunteer visiting. A men in sheds service is also currently being developed.
By providing these services we tackle loneliness and isolation, build community networks, maximise income, support older people through changing circumstances and improve their health and wellbeing.
Age UK Mid Devon is seeking a Trustee with HR expertise to join their board. We are seeking candidates who, in addition to providing their specialist HR skills, will also provide their strategic oversight and help to develop the five year strategic plan of the organisation. This role will have a significant impact on the organisation’s ability to continue its work.
Trustees will also get the opportunity to see the work of the organisation first hand, work alongside like minded individuals and will have the chance to be an ambassador for the charity.
- Committed to ensuring highest standards of governance in policies and practice related to employee relations, recruitment, retention, reward and recognition as well as staff and trustee development.
- Assessing risks and measuring the impact of HR interventions in the light of changing legal requirements and best practice.
- Ensuring company policies and practices reflect the charity’s aims and objectives and evaluating how they impact beneficiaries and staff.
- Ensuring long-term strategic oversight of the organisation’s resources in relation to the overarching goals of the charity.
- Experience of performance management, HR/employment law issues and implementing them contextually.
- Commitment to the organisation.
- Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to attend meetings and away-days.
- Strategic vision.
- Good, independent judgement
- Ability to think creatively.
- Willingness to speak your mind and to provide challenge to proposals where necessary.
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
- A team-oriented approach to problem solving and management.
- Willing to act as the charity’s ambassador to external bodies, charities and companies.
- Previous work with vulnerable adults.
6 board meetings a year, an induction which takes a day/day and a half to complete and an away day for 1-2 days. Board meetings are held at the organisation’s premises: The Haven Centre, Broad Lane, Tiverton, EX16 5HE
How to apply
Applications must be made via Reach in the first instance. In order to apply please submit your CV along with a covering letter stating why you wish to join the organisation, how your skills would add value to the board and any other relevant information. Applications must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply for HR Trustee
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly