Windows Support Egnineer
Windows support Engineer
A well known bank in the city is looking for a Windows and VMware support engineer to join their team of 10.
This will be initially 6 months with the attention to extend it furthermore.
The company has 2 offices and data centres one in the city and the other one in Watford. The work is in shifts varied between 7am – 7pm.
Main purpose of the role:
The principle role of the VMware aligned Windows Server Engineer is to ensure the day to day running of all Windows servers within CoBa is maintained with particular emphasis on the VMware environment.
This role will have a strong bias towards VMware and the candidate will be expected to be of a high calibre of technical expertise in the Windows Server environment as well as being professional and clear in their communication style adjusting this to suit their audience.
The type of person we are looking for:
The role requires an engineer with strong communication skills and a positive attitude. They need to be customer facing (to the Bank’s Application, Development and Project teams) and be delivery focused as well as technically strong in VMware and Windows technologies.
The role will address a mix of Project and BAU requirements and the candidate should be able to work well under pressure; manage varying priorities and deadlines.
The candidate needs to be sociable and fit in with a dynamic and diverse team locally. They will form part of the global VMware team and will need to maintain good working relationships with their technical peers overseas via regular conference calls and consultation when issues occur.
- Monitor standard tools for failures in hardware or errors from the OS. (SIM/Tivoli)
Respond to calls/Incidents (HP Service Centre)
- Schedule CRs in line with appropriate regulations and agreed downtime
- Perform Incident and Problem management based on the ITIL framework
- Consult with customers, specify and procure appropriate hardware to satisfy new requirements or upgrades taking a broad view of factors into account including cost, performance, virtual options and global standards.
- Provide appropriate support to Data Centre Managers when they request downtime for hardware restacks, DC maintenance, etc
- Analyse Server Performance and identify issues requiring reconfiguration or hardware upgrade.
- Coordinate changes to SAN storage configuration to ensure smooth transition and to minimise the risk to the application/business.
- Maintain appropriate OS patching level on all Windows servers.
- Deploy updates to the estate using standard in house methods and processes, remediating issues as required.
- Review vulnerabilities, stability fixes and feature updates, offer input to their assessment and manage/troubleshoot their deployment.
- Be able to build / rebuild / restore a server to the specified CoBa standard
VMware specific responsibilities:
- Experience with managing a VMware in an enterprise environment in context of HCI (specifically VSAN)
- Understanding of capacity planning, maintenance modes and dealing with hardware failures in a HCI environment
- Lifecycle Management – building, operating and decommissioning of ESXi hosts, virtual machines and associated infrastructure.
- Proactive monitoring of the VMware clusters to identify potential issues. Troubleshooting and root cause analysis of software and hardware issues. Dealing with Hardware and Software vendors where appropriate
- The role will require the candidate to be able to work in Watford, as well as in the City of London.
- Extensive working knowledge of Windows Server Operating systems including build, configuration, performance tuning and troubleshooting up to Windows Server 2016
- Extensive working knowledge VMware and Vsan
- Extensive working knowledge in enterprise/coprorate environment
- Extensive knowledge of Windows server hardware specifically HP Proliant and Dell hardware and including hardware RAID configuration.
- Strong knowledge of IP network connectivity and configuration, DNS, WINS, etc
- Knowledge of Active Directory
- Knowledge of IIS up to 8.5
- Knowledge of Powershell
- Strong knowledge of vSphere6
- Strong understanding of NetApp SAN/NAS storage Scripting with PowerCLI
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/77806941