Deputy Director of Finance & Operations / Senior Accountant
Job Title: Deputy Director of Finance & Operations
Salary: circa £45,000 per annum (negotiable for an exceptional candidate)
Job Type: Permanent (full time but part-time would be considered) 36 hours per week
Closing Date: 15-12-17
Start Date: Early 2018
The organisation is a self-financing educational charity based in Cambridge which is part of the Open School Trust. The Trust is governed by a distinguished Board of Trustees. The organisation has provided tutor supported home study courses directly to learners for over 50 years, and also publishes learning resources for colleges and training providers and delivers blended learning programmes for public and private sector organisations.
They are looking for an exceptional accountant who is keen to develop their role by getting involved in the overall management of the organisation and provide financial leadership. Reporting to the CEO and working as a member of the executive team, the Deputy Director: Finance and Operations will head up the finance, and IT teams, manage the day-to-day operational infrastructure in Cambridge and play a key role in the direction of the business by improving the efficiency of business processes, ensuring financial viability, and securing the future of the College.
This is a new job and an exciting opportunity for an experienced and qualified accountant with good technical skills (CIMA, ACCA or equivalent) to join this unique self -financing educational charity based in the centre of Cambridge.
- Ensuring that the financial systems and the day to day financial operations together with the financial infrastructure is robust and compliant
- Overseeing the day to day operational aspects of College's infrastructure eg premises, IT, health and safety, data protection and risk assessment
- Producing the management accounts and financial KPIs
- Financial reporting to the CEO and the Trustees
- Managing the finance team and covering their work for holidays/illness etc.
- Attending and advising Trustees Board meetings, and Finance Sub Committee meetings
- Coordinating the annual budget process
- Providing support to non-financial managers on producing, managing and overseeing their budgets and improving the profitability of their areas
- Managing the annual audit
- Preparation and submission of VAT Returns, plus an Annual Review of the Partial Exemption Scheme
- Ensuring legal and statutory compliance with, for example Companies House, Consumer Credit and the Charity Commission
- Managing the relationships with the bank, accountants and funders
- Contributing to the development of the College's growth strategy and be involved in identifying business opportunities for the College
- Deputising for the CEO as and when required
You will need to be a team player, able to work flexibly and comfortably at both hands-on and strategic levels. You will have excellent communication and interpersonal skills and take an analytical approach to solving problems and improving processes. You will need to have a high level of computer literacy including spreadsheets and other financial reports.
You will also need to be commercially astute and willing to challenge assumptions and decision making in order to provide financial analysis and guidance.
An interest in education and a sympathy with the values of the College would be a real advantage along with an understanding of the ways in which education can open up new opportunities and change lives.
Skills, competencies and experience
- Integrity and honesty in all areas and a passion and commitment to organisation and its mission
- An understanding of the policy context in which the organisation operates
- Intelligent, analytical and entrepreneurial able to use persuasion and tact to get 'buy in' for corporate changes required
- Able to deal pragmatically with complex and fast changing situations using sound judgement
- Hands-on and can-do approach and likes to see projects through to completion
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills at all levels
- Forward thinking, creative and innovative but also tenacious and resilient
- Seeking progression to more senior role with greater responsibility and accountability
- Good analytical skills and able to understand and present data
- Proactive approach
- Excellent attention to detail
- Good time management
- IT literate and willing to learn new systems
- A track record of providing leadership
- Experience of managing a small team
- Undertaking CPD with your own professional body
Working arrangements: the post holder will work at their office off Hills Road, Cambridge. Flexible working and a part-time post could be considered.
Please click the APPLY button to send your CV and Cover Letter for this role.
Candidates with experience or relevant job titles of; Deputy Director of Finance and Operations, Assistant CFO, Financial Controller, CA, ACA, ACCA, CIMA, Finance Manager, Financial Analyst, Finance Coordinator, Senior Finance Manager, Accountant, Financial Accounting, Accounts Coordinator, Finance Supervisor, Cost Controller, Accounts Controller, Finance Coordinator, Group Finance Controller, Finance & Operations Manager may also be considered for this role.