Head of Economics
The New Economics Foundation exists to build the case and the campaign for the new economy. Our work brings insights from the best, most original and widely respected subject-based research into direct contact with the campaigns, movements and other actors who are trying to build the new economy. We do that in a broad number of areas, encompassing social justice, well-being, the environment and the economy. We have a proud thirty-year history but are also setting out in a new direction, prioritizing partnerships with others in helping to bring about change today and not just outline plans for the economy of tomorrow. As Head of Economics you will develop, shape and lead work across NEF and with partners on we forge a pathway towards the new economics.
Your primary responsibilities
- Work with the CEO, Leadership team and colleagues to research, develop and campaign for key aspects of the ‘New Economy’ in line with NEF’s purpose, objectives and strategy.
- Provide leadership, guidance, expertise and support to staff across the organisation to ensure that our vision of a new economy and approach to developing it in a truly people-powered way is at the core of all of our work.
- Work with partners, communities and NEF staff to develop and put into practice new methodological approaches to research and policy development on the new economy.
- Work closely with other economists and researchers in NEF and NEF Consulting to establish and embed high-quality economics research and analysis
- Develop partnerships and joint projects with leading academic economists and other economic thinkers and practitioners from a variety of backgrounds and traditions.
- Build relationships with economic funders and work with colleagues and partners to develop projects that meet the interests of these funders and that address elements of NEF’s strategy.
- Work with the Principal Director, Policy and Advocacy and the Director of News and Media to establish it as the number one UK thought leader on the new economy.
- Raise NEFs profile through media interviews, articles, blogs and external events
- Respond rapidly to developing economic stories and work with the Comms Director to identify and exploit opportunities to use NEF’s skills and analysis proactively to influence media and policy debates.
- To work to tight deadlines delivering against specific KPI’s
- To role model NEF’s behaviours
Knowledge & Experience
- A proven and well attenuated understanding of macroeconomics and its strengths and flaws in relation to people’s needs and ecological limits is essential.
- Sound understanding of economics with degree or relevant experience in economic analysis and policy
- A very good understanding of different economic schools of thought and how these relate to one-another and to economic orthodoxy.
- A proven track record in economics research, especially in relation to the impact of macroeconomics on the people whose lives NEF seeks to transform and on ecological limits.
- A proven ability to develop and write successful funding proposals that deliver on organizational strategy.
- The ability to write simply and clearly and in a compelling way about complex economic theories and concepts.
- Some experience of representing organisations and/or talking about economics in popular media fora.
- Training or experience in economic analysis and policy
- A Passion for economics and a desire to shape and advocate for a new economics that put people’s needs and ecological limits at their heart.
- Ability to lead and influence thinking on the new economy both inside and outside NEF.
- Excellent funding bid writing skills
- Excellent understanding of wider fundraising agenda and the ability to predict emerging trends in economics and act to maximum impact
- Ability to foster deep relationships with people from a diverse range of backgrounds, including but not restricted to other experts in economics
- Ability to deliver tight deadlines and challenging KPI’s
- Capable communicator
Closing date: midnight on Sunday, 10th December 2017.
Interviews: Wednesday, 20th December 2017.
Start date: Monday, 22nd January 2018 or as soon as possible.