Additive Manufacturing R&D Engineer
Smiths Interconnect in Elstree is seeking an Additive Manufacturing R&D Engineer to join the company on a permanent basis.
This is a good opportunity to join the company in an interesting and highly challenging role, developing futuristic products.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research and develop technologies typically through Technology Readiness Level 5 for the fulfilment of the technology roadmap
- Work collaboratively with on technology projects requiring multiple specialisms, and with the wider organization (Product Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Qualification Test, etc.) and collaboratively on cross-divisional technology development projects outside Interconnect
- Play active role in innovation and futuring workshops that inform roadmap development
- Maintain knowledge and be the divisional subject matter expert in area of specialism, publishing internal and external papers
- Actively manage knowledge in area, enabling each new innovation to become core to and understood by the wider organization
- Relentless drive for convergence between simulated/ predicted behaviour and test data
- Manage all activities adhering to Technology Development process for assigned projects
- Support Integrated Product Teams during transition of technologies developed to New Product Introduction process
- Drive projects with external partners in area of specialism (universities, research establishments, etc.)
- Participate and contribute to team training, development, mentoring and audits
- Provide technical support to organizational stakeholders (Production, Quality, Marketing and Sales)
- Provide technical support to external stakeholders (University, Auditors, etc.)
- Demonstrate behaviors consistent with company policies, including ethics, bribery, health and safety, etc.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor degree in Mechanical, Electronics or comparable discipline
- Knowledge & experience of 3D modeling using drawing and simulation packages, preferably SolidWorks, Abaqus/Simulia
- Experience of designing and simulating the manufacture of components for additive manufacturing
- Knowledge and experience of a broad range of additive manufacturing techniques, polymeric, metallic, and ceramic; DMSL, SLA, SLS, FDM, etc.
- Knowledge of Materials suitable for scope of work
- Knowledge of at least one of main markets industry specifications: Aerospace, Space, Defense, Medical, and Semiconductor Test, advantageous
- Knowledge and experience of applying of the scientific method to experimental design
Smiths Interconnect is a leading provider of electronic components, subsystems, microwave and radio frequency products that connect, protect and control critical applications in the commercial aviation, defense, space, semiconductor test, medical, rail, industrial and test and measurement markets. Smiths Interconnect's high technology brands (EMC, RF Labs, Lorch Hypertac, IDI, TRAK, TECOM, and Millitech) are synonymous with exceptional performance whenever a technologically advanced, high quality solution is requested to ensure reliability and safety. Blue chip customers include Raytheon, BAE Systems, Finmeccanica-Leonardo, Airbus, NVIDIA, Qualcomm, Alstom, and Biosense Webster, just to name a few. One of five divisions of Smiths Group, Smiths Interconnect employs over 2000 people globally with locations in the US, Mexico, Costa Rica, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Tunisia, Singapore, and China, and a global sales and distribution network.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/77780475