Commissioning Editor ELT, Secondary
Macmillan Education provides world class content in the most relevant, engaging and flexible formats to support students, teachers and institutions through a lifetime of learning. Macmillan Education produces content for English Language Teaching (ELT) and for Schools curricula around the world whilst Palgrave Higher Education develops and distributes textbooks, e-books and interactive e-learning resources primarily for University-level students.
Commissioning Editor, Schools Language Learning, Secondary ELT
London, Kings Cross
Macmillan Education, part of the Springer Nature Group, is one of the world’s leading publishers of English Language teaching and school curriculum materials, with over 150 years of publishing experience. Our Language Learning division develops and publishes English Language Teaching (ELT) materials for all age ranges, preschool to young adult. Our products encompass a wide range of print and pioneering digital formats.
The role of Commissioning Editor for ELT Schools Publishing is to commission appropriate ELT content and manage successful content development. It involves commissioning authors and working closely with overseas markets, and the in-house or freelance project team to work to high level and detailed working schedules to ensure on-time and on-budget delivery. Collaboration with in-house Operations, Production, Sales and Marketing teams and overseas markets is vital in ensuring that the publishing meets the needs of the key audience and stakeholders and has the right specification, look and feel. The successful candidate will have extensive experience of working on complex book and digital publishing projects with large, diverse and geographically dispersed teams (internal and external).
Experience, skills and qualifications
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Knowledge of ELT markets and secondary segments
- Demonstrable, market-focused ELT publishing experience at project leadership level and a proven track record of successful product development
- Awareness of publishing processes and how they impact manuscript development
- Experience of working with a range of new media and a good understanding of publishing technologies
- A working understanding of content management systems
- Appreciation for a wide international range of teaching and learning situations
- Adequate financial knowledge to understand and manage a project P&L
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work to tight deadlines
- Excellent team-working and organisational skills
- Proven of English language teaching experience, preferably including in a secondary setting
- Excellent written English
- Educated to a degree level or equivalent
- Formal ELT/TEFL qualification
- Knowledge of a second language is desirable
This is an exciting opportunity for a proactive and results focused individual to be part of our publishing team. We value character as well as skills – people with a passion to be the best they can be and the desire to make our company bigger, better and more exciting. It’s the people who make Macmillan Education so successful, so why not join us?
We offer career development and training, a competitive salary, season ticket loans, private healthcare, a contributory pension scheme, employee assistance program, and a range of other benefits.
To apply, please submit a CV and a cover letter outlining your key ambitions in the role, including your salary expectations.