Communications Manager - 12 Month FTC
Communications Manager - 12 Month FTC
About the Job
Ofcom, the UK communications regulator, is recruiting a Communications Manager to join its media team for a 12 month fixed term contact. We?re looking for a talented PR professional who can communicate authoritatively with the media, ensuring accurate news coverage of our work.
The successful candidate will communicate Ofcom?s work to a variety of important audiences, principally the media. They will apply shrewd judgement and initiative to shape and influence opinions in the modern news environment.
The Communications Manager will focus on specific subjects within Ofcom?s remit. Our responsibilities span telecoms, broadcasting, postal services, wireless devices, consumer and competition issues.
This is an exciting time to join Ofcom, as we have recently taken on full regulation of the BBC. Candidates with experience or knowledge of broadcasting, or a passion for communications and technology, are particularly encouraged to apply.
What you will be doing
Managing enquiries from all sections of the media ? often national print and broadcast, but also regional, online, specialist and trade.
- Helping to develop and enhance Ofcom's media profile by identifying opportunities and messages for journalists
- Speaking on behalf of Ofcom, communicating with authority to the media and sharing the positive results of our work
- Providing leadership on communications activity for policy and operational teams across the organisation
- Participating in an out-of-hours rota for media enquiries
Essential Skills / Experience
You will have a strong track record in media relations, dealing with a variety of journalists and stakeholders at high level. You will also have experience of operating effectively in a complex environment with multiple agendas and stakeholders.
You will be comfortable managing reputational issues and developing communications plans. We are also looking for:
- Thorough understanding of the media and the requirements of journalists
- Strong appetite for media relations, together with a sharp news sense and the ability to identify positive consumer angles with media appeal
- Very strong understanding of social media, how they affect traditional news media, and the opportunities they present
- Analytical mind, able to cut through complex issues to see the wider picture
- Excellent writing skills, and the ability to convert complex policy documents into plain English
- Quick learner, flexible and enthusiastic about working across a range of communications issues
- Ability to work on a number of demanding projects at once
- An ability to identify with, and embody, Ofcom's values of excellence, agility, empowerment and collaboration
- Hard-working, self-motivated and keen to take the initiative
- Calm when working under pressure
Desirable Skills / Experience
- Experience working at, or closely with, a public body or economic regulator
- Time spent working in the communications sector, or as a journalist
Ofcom offers competitive salaries plus pensions and flexible benefits package.
Ofcom is an equal opportunities employer and committed to equality of opportunity for all. As a disability confident employer, all disabled candidates who meet all the essential criteria of a job description will be guaranteed an interview. If you have a disability or special need and wish to request a reasonable adjustment at any stage of the recruitment process, please do so by contacting Ofcom.
Please note, the closing date for this role is the 3rd December 2017.
To apply for the role of Communications Manager (12 Month FTC), please apply via the button shown.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Additional Keywords: Communications Manager, Public Relations Manager, PR Manager, Journalist, Media Relations Manager, External Communications Manager, Marcomms Manager, Marketing Communications Manager.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959590935