IT Support / Operations Technician
This company is a multi-award winning 5th generation family business based in Chadderton near Oldham. They are widely recognised as a leading designer & importer of gift and housewares to the retail trade throughout the UK, Ireland and Europe.
A key part of the role is to provide first line support to users to triage issues and either assign to the development team or resolve themselves.
The role is expected to cover maintaining the IT hardware (servers, PCs etc.) and network as well as general security and the maintenance of off-the-shelf software (such as MS office).
In the future, it may be expected that the role develops to cover maintenance and support on the different interfaces used within the business
- Maintain security patches for all servers and devices within the company
- Manage software requests (devices are not currently locked down, but this is something we need to look in to)
- Firewall and anti-virus management
- Manage the backups (StorageCraft used to backup at a VM level) and general DR readiness
- Manage the mobile device management (their mobile devices currently controlled through an MDM, but personal device are not)
Hardware / Network Maintenance:
- Proactively monitor on site servers and ensure that high-availability is maintained (predominantly on site servers virtualised with hyper-V)
- Monitor and maintain the network infrastructure
- Asset management and the procurement of IT equipment
- Monitor and manage the AWS instances
- Provide support on all MS Office products used throughout the business
- Provide 1st line of support and triage on all issues raised from throughout the business
- Raise bugs with the development team for issues with bespoke software and/or integration
- Liaise with 3rd party software providers to gain 2nd line support on issues requiring their attention
- Proactively keep connected with the general technology industry and suggest areas of investment etc.
- Learn the architecture of the system with a view to possibly providing 2nd line support on integration issues in the future
- Manage the active directory
Out of hours support:
- Troubleshooting server and networking issues
- Work with rest of IT team to ensure site responsiveness
- Working remotely if required on exception
From time to time the role holder may be required to undertake other duties, tasks and responsibilities within the company as the need arises
- Microsoft infrastructure experience
- Experience in ITIL first and second line support
- AWS administration experience preferable
- Empathetic people skills for communication with business users to provide a positive image of the department and also to ensure that good levels of detail can be gained on reported issues
- Analytical skills to be able to understand and diagnose identified issues
- Able to work independently and as a part of a team