Manager, Retail Investments and Consumer Information Policy
The salary range will be approximately 65,000 GBP to 90,000 GBP plus a competitive benefits package and non-contributory pension.Background
At the FCA, we're creating a fair and more resilient financial system. We're establishing more transparent relationships between financial services and their customers, building trust in financial markets and protecting vulnerable consumers.
There are few jobs where you can make a real difference to the 2 million people who work in the UK Financial Services industry, the 40 million consumers of financial products and the stability of our economy as a whole.
Our people are integral to our success as an organisation, working alongside industry, visiting firms and speaking to consumers every day as we strive to ensure the FCA is setting the standard for other regulatory bodies across the world.
From regulating Consumer Credit to driving action on Foreign Exchange manipulation or helping strengthen accountability in the banking sector, the FCA is working with the industry to protect consumers, ensure the integrity of the UK financial system and promote fair and effective competition. Our remit has expanded significantly since our creation in 2013, with the number of firms we regulate growing from 23,000 to over 56,000. We oversee conduct across the full span of the financial sector from global investment banks to high street payday lenders.
The retail investments sector has a significant impact on the lives of many people. This role is an exciting opportunity to manage a team which leads on the development of our policy and rules in this area, and which provides expert advice on the application of our rules.
The Retail Investments and Consumer Information team leads the FCA's policy work in relation to:
- the regulatory regime for retail investments, including the standards for giving advice and guidance on retail investments
- ensuring the FCA's standards in relation to retail investments remain suitable for the changing needs of the marketplace and consumers
- ensuring the UK's regulatory regime in relation to retail investments adapts to our changing relationship with the EU
- consumer disclosures across all retail financial services.
We are looking for a manager to lead the Retail Investments and Consumer Information Policy team, which sits within the Pensions, Insurance and Retail Investments Policy Department.What does this job involve?
The key responsibilities of the post holder will be:
- Leading the team on policy work related to retail investments and consumer disclosure.
- Leading high profile projects from development to implementation. This includes developing proposals to address consumer harm, communicating these to FCA decision-makers and consulting with external stakeholders.
- Researching and analysing industry developments, external regulatory developments and the existing UK regulatory framework to determine the impact on FCA policy
- Providing technical and policy advice about investment and disclosure-related issues to FCA senior management and colleagues across divisions, such as Policy, Competition, Supervision and Communications
- Working with a wide range of external stakeholders (e.g. HM Treasury, the Bank of England/PRA, trade bodies and consumer representatives) to promote the FCA's objectives and ensure external policy developments and activities are as far as possible compatible with these objectives
- Supporting the development of the wider Policy Department and organisation
- Recruiting, motivating and developing staff
- The chance to work on challenging and high profile issues, in an intellectually stimulating environment, where creative thinking and problem solving are essential. Our work is scrutinised internally and externally, including by media and politicians (for example, our recent work in relation to the Financial Advice Market Review).
- The opportunity to contribute policy input to the wide range of projects being undertaken within the FCA, helping shape the retail investments and consumer disclosure landscape.
- The opportunity to work with and influence a wide range of industry professionals, both internally and externally to the FCA.
- As an Academy business we place great value on learning and at the FCA we offer world-class development opportunities which will assist you in achieving your career aspirations.
As an Academy business we place great value on your learning and we offer world-class development opportunities which will assist you in achieving your career aspirations. Our Academy offers you a range of opportunities for personal and professional development, including our MSC in financial regulation, Advanced Managers programme, sponsored study and more.Which minimum, essential & desirable skills are required?Minimum
We're a signatory to the Government's Disability Confident scheme. This means that we guarantee an interview to any disabled candidates entering under the scheme, should they meet the minimum criteria for a role.
- Experience of regulatory or public policy making, including the ability to think creatively, to make logical and timely decisions, and to cut through complexity and see the bigger picture
- People management skills
- A proven ability to lead a team and to support and assist others. This includes energising and inspiring team members and being self-aware to adjust your approach as the situation demands
- The ability to make good judgements, to prioritise effectively, to respond positively to challenge and to adapt approach and working styles quickly and successfully
- The ability to analyse complex information or issues, to draw reasoned and logical inferences from quantitative and/or qualitative data, and to reach robust and practical conclusions
- The ability to look at issues from both an industry and customer perspective
- An ability to identify and manage key stakeholders, build rapport and constructive relationships, and be a credible representative for the FCA
- An ability to make a strong personal impact, to take a collaborative and flexible approach, to persuade with well-reasoned arguments and challenge where appropriate
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including an ability to distil complex issues into succinct messages and present confidently and concisely to a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent organisational skills, including the ability to manage a variety of, and competing, tasks to challenging deadlines
- A good knowledge and understanding of the UK retail investments and consumer disclosure landscape including:
- Relevant UK and EU legislation (e.g. PRIIPs and MiFID 2)
- The FCA's Handbook and in particular the Conduct of Business Sourcebook
- The UK and EU legislative process
- The impact of retail investment regulation on business and consumers
As an inclusive employer, we are open to considering flexible working arrangements. Please contact our recruiter if you wish to apply for this role on a flexible basis.
The job family for this role is POL D and applications close on 26th November 2017.Selection process
Stage 1: On-line application, please submit your CV which will be submitted to the hiring manager.
Stage 2: Screening
Stage 3: Selection & assessment process (could be subject to change) Competency Based Interview
Stage 4: 2hr Penna Assessment
Stage 4: Final Interview
This role will be based in London, Canary Wharf, with a planned move in 2018 to a new site in The International Quarter, Stratford.
This job was originally posted as www.retailchoice.com/job/77666513