Head of Economics and Business Studies
FROM SEPTEMBER 2018
Wetherby Senior School is a new independent boys’ day school (11-18) situated in the heart of London. Since opening in 2015 the School has quickly grown to over 200 pupils and next year the School will have its first Sixth Form students. The School combines a rigorous academic education with an emphasis on developing the whole boy by giving them a broad educational experience and strong pastoral care.
We are seeking to appoint a dynamic and inspirational Head of Economics and Business Studies to set up this new department. The successful candidate will be enthusiastic about developing the department and preparing the boys to study at leading universities in the UK and abroad. A willingness to play a part in the co-curricular programme and an ability to teach another subject in the first stages of the department’s development would be an advantage.
The Alpha Plus Group offers an attractive remuneration package.
Please submit applications through the Alpha Plus Portal.
Wetherby Senior School was founded in 2015 and is a member of the Alpha Plus Group of Schools. There are currently around 225 boys between the ages of 11 and 16, spanning Year 7 to Year 11. The School’s size and reputation is growing rapidly and next year the second building will open only a short walk from the original building in Marylebone Village. Next year will also see the opening of our new Sixth Form Centre with purpose built accommodation for the boys.
At Wetherby Senior School we seek to employ highly professional teachers with the ability and commitment to enhance the life of this School and to work effectively and collaboratively with all members of the School community to further establish and develop the School. Our emphasis on educating the whole boy means that all members of staff, in due course, will be expected to contribute to the pastoral care of a group of students as a Form Tutor as well as contributing to the School’s co-curricular activities.
The School was founded to offer a progressive education in the heart of London. The School’s focus on educating the whole boy means that high standards are expected of the boys in all areas of school life. The School provides the boys with a broad educational experience, which includes Philosophy and Thinking Skills in the curriculum, to ensure that they are able to think critically and to problem solve but also to ensure they can be creative and collaborative in their approach, so that they develop a sense of social responsibility and respect for others.
Wetherby Senior School opened in 2015 with Years 7 and 9 and we have grown organically with Sixth Form scheduled for September 2018. As a smaller, central London day school we have a lot to offer students who will experience Sixth Form privileges in a community that all staff, parents and students feel a part of. Our skilled staff, who have a wealth of A Level experience, are preparing to send our pupils to leading universities in the UK, the US and elsewhere.
Our location in the heart of London will open up exciting opportunities for Economics and Business Studies teaching as the school has access to everything the City has to offer in terms of arts and culture, science and technology and business and commerce, giving our pupils the best preparation for adult life in an ever changing world.
We plan to offer Economics and Business Studies in the Sixth Form and there has been strong interest from boys for both A Level and university. Most boys will also be taking the Extended Project Qualification alongside their A levels, and all departments are expected to be involved in the delivery of this, including as EPQ supervisors and teachers of key study skills. The Head of Economics and Business Studies will have the exciting and unusual opportunity to establish their own department and play a real part in the development of the School. As well as in the classroom, the Economics and Business Studies department will be active in organising extra-curricular and enrichment opportunities such as Young Enterprise and appropriate workshops and conferences.
In addition to the responsibility of a teacher, as a Head of Department, the successful applicant will be expected to:
- Responsibility for managing the Economics and Business Studies curriculum, including:
- Establishing and reviewing schemes of work and monitoring their use by staff.
- Selecting the public examination syllabuses offered at Wetherby Senior School and liaising with the examination board about syllabuses, examinations and results.
- Establishing effective methods of assessment of students’ work and analysing the results.
- Fostering, by example, a spirit of academic enquiry within the department.
- Keeping up-to-date with subject developments outside the School and bringing them to the attention of colleagues.
- Providing appropriate, effective enrichment activities and opportunities for different age groups as part of the co-curricular programme.
- Responsibility for managing the staff in the department, including:
- Providing an effective induction programme for new members of the department.
- Arranging for the observation of teaching as a matter of good practice and providing constructive feedback to the teacher concerned.
- Managing the teaching and learning element of the annual Professional Performance Review of members of the department.
- Ensuring that teachers in the department use the School’s rewards and sanctions effectively.
- Providing support to members of the department in any matters involving behaviour management.
- Delegating appropriate administrative tasks to create a sense of teamwork within the department and aid professional development.
- Monitoring the quality of written academic reports on pupils by teachers in the department.
- Ensuring that teachers are aware of pupils with learning, medical, social or other difficulties and providing appropriate support.
- Managing relief teaching when members of the department are absent.
- Responsibility for managing the pupils being taught in the department, including:
- Fostering high standards of academic work.
- Ensuring effective use of pupil tracking data.
- Effective scrutiny of pupil work.
- Advising students with options choices relevant to the subject and with university applications.
- Developing links with university Economic and Business departments.
- Responsibility for the administration of the department, including:
- Producing and reviewing the department handbook development plan and ensuring the department is ready for inspection.
- Holding and recording the minutes of regular departmental meetings to exchange ideas, and inform and develop good practice.
- Producing an annual report about the department for the Headmaster, including a detailed analysis of public examination results.
- Allocating teaching space to staff and ensuring that pupils respect the fabric of the department.
- Managing the departmental budget effectively.
- Overseeing the purchase, issue, return of textbooks and the recharging of lost textbooks.
- Maintaining a comprehensive, up-to-date departmental contribution to the external website and the VLE.
- Ensuring that all members of the department are aware of the relevant Health & Safety practices as outlined in the School’s Health & Safety Policy.
- Providing appropriate and effective enrichment activities for different age groups as part of the co-curricular programme.
- Attendance at school meetings as required.
Suitable candidates will have:
- The ability to inspire others and lead by example.
- Have outstanding subject knowledge, academic qualifications and to be able to communicate their enthusiasm.
- Be able to deliver dynamic and effective lessons to the full ability range of pupils at the School.
- Some experience of successful management of or within an academic department.
- Highly effective communication skills for dealing with all members of the School community.
- A commitment to pastoral care and the welfare and safeguarding of pupils.
- Excellent inter-personal skills.
- Excellent administrative, organisational, and IT skills.
The Alpha Plus Group has its own salary scale. The DfEs Pension Scheme is available to all staff with QTS.
Wetherby Senior School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post including check with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
Please submit applications through the Alpha Plus Portal.
Applications should reach the school no later than Tuesday 5th December at 9.00am and interviews will be held between 7th and 12th December.