Education Reviews Programme Manager
Education Reviews Programme Manager
2 year Fixed Term Contract
General Optical Council
The General Optical Council (GOC) is the regulator for the optical professions in the UK. We currently register approximately 30,000 optometrists, dispensing opticians, student opticians and optical businesses. Our purpose is to protect the public by promoting high standards of education, conduct and performance among the optical professions.
Ideally with experience in higher or professional education policy and projects, the role holder will make a key contribution to the day to day monitoring, reporting and programme management of the GOC’s current education review projects – Education Strategic Review and Continuing Education and Training (CET) Review. They will support the development of proposals for change to the systems of optical education leading to professional registration with the GOC and mandatory ongoing Continuing Education and Training, by providing efficient and effective programme management.
Key accountabilities include:
- To programme manage both the Education Strategic Review and the CET Evaluation projects, including developing, maintaining and monitoring performance against the project plans, monitoring the project budgets, and developing and maintaining the risk registers.
- Undertaking desk-based research, data analysis and support the commissioning and delivery of project-specific research.
- Engaging and consulting with external stakeholders, including students, optical professionals, education providers, professional bodies, employers, commissioners and other regulators.
Essential skills and experience includes:
- Project/Programme management
- Experience in developing and implementing policy
- Experience of engagement and consultation with stakeholders
Salary Range: £35,553 – 48,101 plus benefits
Closing Date: 8 December 2017
Interview Date: 15 December 2017
If you think you have the combination of skills, enthusiasm and commitment this highly visible role demands and would like to use them to help shape the future of the GOC and the system of optical education in the UK, please visit our website via the button below or contact Lauren Campling on 020 7307 9484.
The GOC strives to be as diverse as the public it protects and welcomes applications from everyone, regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity.
JOBTITLE: Education Reviews Programme Manager – Two Year Fixed Term Contract or Secondment opportunity
JOINTLY REPORTS TO: Project Director, Education Strategic Review / Head of Standards and CET
To programme manage the Education Strategic Review and the linked Continuing Education and Training (CET) Evaluation projects and develop policy proposals across both undergraduate education and CET . These reviews will ensure that the system of education for optical professionals is fit for purpose at both the pre- and post- registration stages and will prepare students and qualified practitioners for the roles of the future.
- Programme manage both the Education Strategic Review and the CET Evaluation projects, including developing, maintaining and monitoring performance against the project plans, monitoring the project budgets, and developing and maintaining the risk registers.
- Undertake desk-based research, data analysis and support the commissioning and delivery of project-specific research.
- To engage and consult with external stakeholders, including students, optical professionals, education providers, professional bodies, employers, commissioners and other regulators.
- To engage and consult with internal stakeholders, including the Council, Education Committee, Standards Committee, Stakeholder Reference Groups, education visitors and CET approvers.
- To develop policy and process in relation to pre- and post- registration education
- Manage queries and correspondence relating to projects
- To deputise for the ESR Director / Head of Standards and CET where appropriate
- Project/Programme management skills (essential)
- Experience in developing and implementing policy (essential)
- Experience of engagement and consultation with stakeholders (essential)
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in a relevant discipline (essential)
- Educational, CPD or regulatory experience (desirable) in a healthcare setting (desirable)
- Research skills, with experience of commissioning qualitative and quantitative research (desirable)
- Experience of reviewing and developing accreditation or quality assurance systems relating to higher education (desirable) in the context of regulated professionals (desirable).
- Experience of professional education and training (desirable).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Project/programme management skills
- Analytical and critical thinking skills
- Able to build relationships and influence at all levels
- Able to gain the trust and confidence of colleagues and stakeholders both internal and external
- Able to manage own workload and prioritise effectively
- Able to tolerate and manage ambiguity
- A customer service ethos