Network Engineer - Operations
Working within the Operations team of Zen’s Network & Infrastructure department, our Network Engineers are responsible for operating and maintaining Zen’s core IP, distribution and access networks and ensuring the operational tools used are fit for purpose and continually adapted to suit the team’s needs.
You will be a hands-on engineer with a background in the ISP or Telecoms. Working closely with your team colleagues, you will be a positive communicator and a proactive team member. You will ensure, at all times, that our network is operating as expected, that the team can plan for growth and change in a timely, controlled manner and that the team is able to deal with faults and incidents quickly and effectively. Your contributions will enhance the overall team’s output and will ensure the successful transition of network services from the Engineering team, providing the pre-emptive and routine management to achieve the desired levels of security, availability and performance.
You will also be a 1st and 2nd line point of contact for service faults, demonstrating excellent problem solving skills and an ability to learn quickly and to adapt your existing skills and knowledge to support our network. Part of your responsibilities will be the participation in a 24x7 call-out rota. In carrying out these activities you will proactively contribute to and support the development of the Operations team to ensure we can continue to achieve our goals for the department and for Zen.
- Proactively monitor the status, utilisation, performance and availability of our network and network services.
- Support Engineering projects, working with colleagues to create test plans, transition plans, network documentation and operational maintenance plans.
- Carry out pre-defined expansion plans to our network to ensure the continuing availability, performance and capacity of our network and network services.
- Carry out pre-defined config changes to our network to support the continuing expansion of user growth and service changes to our network.
- Carry out timely patching and upgrades according to the maintenance schedule or in response to incidents.
- Carry out scheduled testing that verifies security and failover mechanisms on our services, ensuring that recovery procedures are kept up to date and understood by the team.
- Deliver planned changes and improvements to our live environments in line with our change management process, ensuring they have gone through an effective peer review and testing process prior to implementation.
- Respond (with a sense of urgency) to faults, alerts, escalations and change requests on our network.
- Identify and escalate issues on problematic platforms or highlight recurring technical problems.
- Contribute to regular reviews of our network services and ensure that our network is achieving, and will continue to achieve desired performance levels.
- Identify improvements to working practices, such as automation and tools and assist with their implementation.
- Protect the security of our services and data.
- Carrying out planned work outside office hours where needed to minimise customer impact.
Technical Skills - Essential
- CCNP / JNCIP or equivalent level of knowledge
- Strong troubleshooting and network diagnostic skills
- Experience of large scale ISP network technologies at all layers: MPLS, IPv4/IPv6, ISIS, BGP, QOS, OSPF, NAT, VLAN, STP, VRRP/HSRP, Optical networking
- Experience of large scale ISP access services: Ethernet access, Broadband (BNG, L2TP, PPP), IP-VPN (L2 & L3), VoIP
- Experience in the planning and implementation of IP peering and transit arrangements
- Experience with one or more of the following hardware vendors: Huawei, Juniper, Ericsson, Cisco
- Corporate networks, LAN switching, Wi-Fi, hosting
- Network and infrastructure security, including firewalls, PCI-DSS, DDoS
- Network and authentication services: DNS, RADIUS, TACACS, Active Directory
- Configuration management: Puppet, GIT, SCCM, RANCID
- Network management: SNMP, OpenNMS, Nagios, MRTG, Cacti, U2000
- Tools development: Perl, shell, PHP, Python, SQL or other scripting languages
- Valid UK driving license and transport
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/77696104