Line Managed by:Chair of Trustees
Line Manager for:Two Admin Assistants
Salary :£30,000 pa pro rata
Hours:30hrs hours, 52 weeks per year
Annual Leave:28 days pro rata inc public and statutory holidays
ContractPermanent, subject to 6 month probationary period
York RI - The charity:
York RI CIO is the City's largest sports provider operating sport and leisure activities at a number of owned or leased sites in the York area:-
Queen Street (near York station); Large Gym with squash, badminton, table tennis, weights, shooting and judo together with a brass band room, bar and social meeting areas.
New Lane Sports Ground, Holgate; Rugby, football, netball, boxing and community meeting room.
Pike Hills, Copmanthorpe; 18 hole golf course with driving range.
Bowls Club, Holgate;
Sailing Club on the Ouse at Bishopthorpe.
Rifle Range at Hessay
Individual activities ('sections') are run by committees of volunteers elected by the members participating in that activity. Each Site is managed by a volunteer-led Committee made up of representatives of the sections based at that Site.
A Board of Trustees elected by the membership as a whole oversees the Charity and agrees budgets and overall asset usage with each Site Committee which are then consolidated into a whole Charity budget.
Income is derived mainly from membership fees, 'pay and play' charges from non-members, and hire of rooms and facilities to external organisations. A wholly owned Trading subsidiary manages non-charitable activities, primarily bars and catering provision. Overall consolidated turnover is in the region of £1million per annum and the Charity is not reliant on grant or statutory funding.
The Charity has around 30 mainly part time employees to manage assets and support sections and site committees. The majority of employees are involved in direct activity and facilities provision (ground staff, gym supervision etc) rather than management of the charity.
RI benefits from the active input of a large number of volunteers, but also faces some particular challenges in ensuring effective communication and consistency across its structures.
We need an experienced and flexible Manager to play a key role in improving financial discipline and to introduce or improve processes as we transition to a Xero accounting system.
You will be responsible for all finance, accounting and legal issues reporting directly to the Chair of Trustees.
You will be centrally involved in strategic planning and driving future growth of the Charity.
Our Site Committees will depend on you for advice and guidance on planning and budgeting and will expect you to deliver regular financial reporting.
The Trustees will rely on you to produce a consolidated budget for both the Charity and Trading Company and to provide reports and recommendations to ensure we are fully compliant and operating at maximum financial efficiency.
You will manage our relationships with HMRC, Auditors, Banks, submissions to Companies House and Charity Commission.
As our Finance Manager you will be responsible for:-.
* Managing a small admin function of 2 p/t Admin Assistants and be the Professional lead to any other Staff and volunteers having finance responsibilities within the Charity.
* Completing the transition to a Xero system, driving process improvement and best practice
* The day to day management of our finance system and all associated processes, including undertaking monthly reconciliations for review by the Trustees
* Managing the in-house payroll process including Pensions
* Advising and guiding Site Committees in the preparation of plans and budgets.
* Working with the Finance Committee to prepare overall budgets for both the Charity and Trading Company and securing approval by the respective Boards before the start of each financial year.
* Providing Site Committees with financial information and reports required to monitor their budgets and best manage their Sites.
* Measuring overall Charity and Trading Company performance against budget, monitoring cash flow and providing the Trustees with monthly reports and quarterly reforecasts.
* Bringing significant variances in actual performance v budget to the attention of the Trustees and recommending remedial action.
* Assessing the Charity and Trading Company current VAT situation and structuring, providing advice on areas for improvement
* Management of the VAT compliance cycle, preparation of quarterly partial exemption VAT returns and submissions to HMRC
* Ensuring value for money by negotiating, managing and monitoring contracts, tenders and agreements for the purchase of goods and services.
* Maintaining the fixed asset register and ensuring proper accounting of purchases and disposals
* Monitoring regular banking/accounting of all monies and cash flow forecasting
* Preparing the year end statutory accounts and the audit file for the year end audit of both the Charity and Trading Company. Liaising with external auditors to reach signoff then securing Trustees and AGM approval before filing annual company accounts according to Charity Commission and HMRC guidelines.
IF YOU WANT TO BE OUR FINANCE MANAGER....
You will need to be flexible and prepared to attend meetings outside normal working hours.
You must be mobile and willing to visit our various Sites, meet the volunteers and build an understanding of how the Sites operate and how your Team can best support them.
You must be able to assess the demands of our Sites and to challenge and manage requests competing for limited resources.
You will need to be a self-starter with excellent interpersonal and communication skill so you may listen, assess, recommend and deliver improvements
You will possess strong technical financial and management accounting skills and be a qualified accountant, although we will consider good qualified by experience candidates
You must show us that you have some commercial nous and the ability and desire to help grow our Charity
You must be practical, good at problem solving, solutions focused with excellent IT skills, especially in Microsoft Excel and Word
We would prefer you to have experience in the charity sector and ideally have experience in using Xero accounting software
If you are interested we need your CV and a covering letter marked Private & Confidential
Interested? Register for free now and apply today!
Closing Date for receipt of applications: Friday 14th December 2017