We are looking for a Linux Engineer with 2+ years of experience to work in the North London office (near Old Street Station) of our client. Our client is an IT Infrastructure firm that operates in many Countries.
The Linux Engineer will perform on-site delivery and implementation of solutions and offerings for the Professional Services team. The focus of the role is to provide Linux/Unix technical platform and engineering expertise to the rest of the business and to ensure that the Linux/Unix environment, including services running on them, is managed and developed in a structured manner.
The role requires regular interaction and liaison with all areas of IT as well as business functions. These include working with other technology personnel within the Technical Services team, such as: Security, DBA, Network experts, Storage experts, Development teams, Support teams and with Strategy and Architecture.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Working with the Architecture Team to design multi-site platform solutions to run systems and services that fulfil business requirements.
- Lead and participate in the design and review of Linux/Unix based systems and application deployments.
- Recommend and manage the implementation of modifications to Linux/Unix in order to improve efficiency, reliability, availability and performance.
- Assist with the definition of processes for ongoing support and maintenance, including: Operating System upgrades, hot fixes, system updates and vendor supplied patches, according to best practices.
- Production of high level and low level design schematics and documentation.
- Perform analysis, diagnosis and resolution of complex server and application-based problems.
- Provide ongoing expertise in maintenance and improvement of server provisioning practices and processes.
- Develop and maintain training and systems documentation for educating IT support staff.
- Proven experience designing and delivering highly available services built on Red Hat Linux.
- 2+ years experience.
- Strong hands-on technical expertise in Administration and Engineering of Linux/Unix operating systems and associated hardware architecture.
- Knowledge of Red Hat Satellite Server and experience of building RPM packages.
- Python scripting.
- Proven experience with systems planning, security principles, and general software management best practices.
- Working technical knowledge of current software protocols and Internet standards.
- Proven influencing skills across technical and business areas, to ensure timely delivery of systems and services.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to produce comprehensive reports and appropriate recommendations based on sound analysis.
- Ability to focus on agreed objectives in a fast moving environment.
- Demonstrated aptitude for technical discussions.
- Understanding of IT infrastructure and applications.
- Working knowledge of DevOps
- Directory Services.
- RHCSA, RHCE or RHCA certification is preferred
- Veritas Volume Manager.
- Security Management.
- Splunk experience.
- MySQL Server and/or Oracle.
- Enterprise Storage: EMC, NetAppd.
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to conduct research into systems issues and products and deliver appropriate solutions.
- Ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language.
- Highly self motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Proven motivational skills within cross-team environments.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.