Unix Administrator- Contract- Sheffield
HSBC urgently requires an accomplished Unix Administrator to join our Global Risk Technology team on an initial 6 month contract from our Sheffield office. As an accomplished Unix Administrator you will demonstrate a proven track record in the installation, configuration and maintenance of Linux servers and workstations as well as in maintaining the health of business critical network and server environments.
As a Unix Administrator you will ensure that solutions provided comply with the security standards of HSBC as well as supporting the requests of users resolving any problems related with the Linux servers and workstations. You will also be play a key role in setting up and configuring new systems, installing and maintaining the application software and co-ordinating network connectivity. A proactive character with a thirst for knowledge you will remain updated with the current knowledge in Linux OS and will be responsible for evaluating the hardware and software technologies in play in the Global Risk function at HSBC.
- Design, implement, secure and maintain the computer systems for their test, development and production environment
- Identify and analyse the issues that hamper the performance of the system, and to work in close co-ordination with the product development team and recommend solutions for the issues
- To do all the supporting tasks that are included, but not limited to code deployment, managing source control systems, virtual servers, scripting, etc.
- Take into account and identify the discrepancies in the system, assess the risks, and implement solutions by adhering to the security standards of HSBC
- Write and modify scripts for application deployments as well as system monitoring
- To be involved in development and oversight of the backup, replication, clustering and fail over strategies
A proven track record in the use/administration of Red Hat Linux 5/6/7, Solaris OS 6-11, Virtualisation technologies (VSphere, VCentre, VMware), AIX (5/6/7/8) and strong Shell Scripting (Bash, KSH) experience is essential for this assignment. Demonstrable experience in a highly regulated, professional services industry is essential for this assignment and previous experience working in the banking sector or for HSBC as a Unix Administrator would be extremely attractive and highly advantageous due to the complex nature of the role.
Please note successful candidates will be required to support HSBC Maintenance windows on a Saturday (8-12pm) twice a month this can be managed and supported from home so please do ensure your circumstances allow you to commit to this before applying.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/77637538