ASSISTANT TAX MANAGER ASSOCIATE
ASSISTANT TAX MANAGER ASSOCIATE
REPORTS TO: HEAD OF TAX
Overview of the Department/Section:
MUFG (Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group) is one of the world's leading financial groups. Headquartered in Tokyo and with approximately 350 years of history, MUFG is a global network with around 2,300 offices in over 50 countries including the Americas, Europe, the Middle East and Africa, Asia and Oceania, and East Asia.. The group has over 150,000 employees, offering services including commercial banking, trust banking, securities, credit cards, consumer finance, asset management, and leasing.
As one of the top financial groups globally with a vision to be the world's most trusted, we want to attract, nurture and retain the most talented individuals in the market. The size and range of MUFG's global business creates opportunities for our employees to stretch themselves and reap the rewards, whilst our common values, to behave with integrity and responsibility, and to build a culture which is fair, transparent, and honest, underpin everything that we do.
We aim to be the financial partner of choice for our clients, whatever their requirements, building long-term relationships, serving society, and fostering shared and sustainable growth for a better world.
MUFG?s shares trade on the Tokyo, Nagoya, and New York (NYSE: MTU) stock exchanges. The group?s operating companies include, but are not limited to, Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking (Japan's leading trust bank), Mitsubishi UFJ Securities Holdings (one of Japan's largest securities firms), and MUFG Americas Holdings.
Please visit our website for more information - ************.
Main purpose of the role:
The Finance function is responsible for preparing and reporting the firm?s financial position. The team is currently made up of four teams; Management Accounts, Financial Reporting, Tax and Accounting Control.We have an exciting opportunity for a junior candidate to join a recently integrated Tax function supporting both the Bank and Securities business.
UK Tax Compliance & Control:
- Preparation of annual UK corporate tax returns and quarterly VAT returns & supporting the overall compliance process
- Providing assistance with other UK tax regimes e.g. Senior Accounting Officer, Bank Levy, R&D Expenditure Credit, etc.
- Deal with HMRC on tax compliance matters including HMRC inquiries
Local & Head Office (HO) Tax Reporting:
- Preparation of monthly tax accruals and quarterly HO reporting packages
- Preparation of tax disclosures for interim and year-end financial statements
- Responding to HO follow up queries, and liaising with external & internal auditors
Support of Operational Tax Compliance:
- Preparation of operational tax returns e.g.US form 1042 reporting and Italian substitution tax.
- Providing support on operational tax matters e.g. tax documentation, certificates of residence, reclaims etc.
Support Management of Transfer Pricing (TP) Risk:
- Monitoring intra-group arrangements and assistance with preparation of local entity and HO TP documentation
- Reviewing the TP implications of new transactions and new business proposals
Provide Tax Advisory Support to the Regional Business:
- Assistance with review of tax implications of transactions, legal agreements etc.
- Preparing assessments of the impact of tax legislative changes.
- Supporting tax-related projects and interacting with non-tax stakeholders.
Skills and experience:
- Recognised professional qualification covering tax (e.g. ACA/IOT or overseas equivalent).
- Practical experience of UK corporation tax and tax reporting under IFRS
- Financial sector tax experience, preferably in banking and/or capital markets tax
- Awareness of tax risk and importance of risk control procedures
- Ability to engage with non-tax experts and articulate/explain tax issues clearly
- Willingness to learn/develop
- Familiarity with international tax issues and tax treaties
- Familiarity with capital market tax processes: handling custodians etc
- Familiarity with industry standard documentation
- Experience of US withholding regimes
- Practical experience of UK VAT & partial exemption methods
- Bank levy experience
- Experience of tax process automation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- A pro-active and motivated approach
- The ability to operate with urgency and prioritise work accordingly
- A structured and logical approach to work
- A creative and innovative approach to work
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong numerical skills
- Excellend Microsoft Office skills (Excel)
This job was originally posted as www.cityjobs.com/job/959542587