Design Development Engineer
Design Development Engineer
Job no: 494354
Work type: Permanent
Location: West Yorkshire
Salary & Benefits £36,000 - 44,000 depending on experience + quarterly bonus + pension + 25 days annual leave
DfMA Development Engineer X 2 Positions
We currently have a vacancy for a DfMA (Design for Manufacture and Assembly) Development Engineer to join the Standard Products and Solutions Team which forms part of the wider Asset Integrity department in the Asset Management Business Unit. This role is based in Livingstone House, Leeds.
What is the purpose of the role ?
As a DfMA Development Engineer, you will be responsible for continuing the development of Yorkshire Water's portfolio of Standard Products and Solutions and delivering new efficient, offsite delivery techniques and processes for the business. This role is key to driving this change in our approach to new asset delivery now and into the future and will involve engineering design management and supply chain management…it’s certainly a challenge!
What will the role involve?
Your role will work closely with the supply chain and across Yorkshire Water to identify opportunities for standardisation, offsite delivery and the deployment of new technologies and innovative techniques. You will then take the idea through concept development and development of the product specification before engagement with the supply chain to deliver this requirement. You will then be responsible for forming the collaborative development team to complete the project including being accountable for the delivery of this project on time, to cost and to the appropriate quality level.
It will be your responsibility to engage with senior management and technical experts to gain technical and commercial acceptance of the project outcomes before launching them into the business.
In addition, as a member of the wider Asset Integrity team, you will assist the delivery of the wider programme including representing the business at regional and national events, acting as a central point of reference for technical advice and guidance for Asset Solutions and the wider business both on standardisation and offsite delivery, and supporting the Principal Engineers (Mechanical, Electrical, ICA, Chemical, Civil).
You will also act as Principal Designer under CDM2015 on behalf of the Manager of Standard Products and Solutions for all programme outputs.
What skills are we looking for?
The following skills / qualifications are essential for the role:
- Member of a professional technical body, working towards professional status or with equivalent experience
- Member of the Association for Project Management or working towards membership, or with equivalent experience
- Proven experience in product development and approval within industry, or with the clear ability to complete this work type
- A broad knowledge of disciplines including chemical, mechanical, electrical and civil engineering or industrial product design
- A creative approach to problem-solving with a “how can we” attitude
- The ability to gather and interpret information
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- The ability to explain technical ideas clearly
- Good negotiating skills
- Good team working skills
- The ability to work under pressure and consistently delivery to challenging deadlines
- An appreciation of wider business demands
- Good commercial skills including budget control and cost management
- A willingness to keep up to date with new developments in technology
The following skills / qualifications are desirable for the role:
- Experience of working within a DfMA environment or familiar with the challenges that this would present
- Experience working in the water, utilities or construction industries
- Experience working in a BIM environment
- Product marketing and launch experience
Please note that as this role involves travel both regionally and nationally a full valid EU driving licence is required.
What's in it for you ?
Career enhancement and development, colleague well-being and a genuinely positive work experience for all are key priorities. We are continuously evolving and improving our ways of working and you will support us in achieving our vision of 'taking responsibility for the water environment for good'.
If you feel this opportunity is suitable and you match the skills required, then please apply on line and complete the application process.
Everyone has an idea of what a water company does. Here in Yorkshire we make sure that all 5.2 million people living in the region have clean safe drinking water on tap and their waste water taken away. But for us it's so much more than this.
We care passionately about the environments and communities in which we work; we always look for new innovative ways to do things that deliver great value for our business and deliver the service our customers want and expect.
Our customers are at the heart of what we do and how we do things. We work best as a company to deliver this when we work together - team work, creativity, enthusiasm and passion are inherent within our 3000 people who work 24/7 365 days a year to keep Yorkshire's water flowing.
We are a business that has its eye on the future, planning ahead to look after Yorkshire's water, today, tomorrow and always.
Yorkshire Water values equality, diversity and inclusion we believe that everyone should be treated with respect. We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of gender, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, race, colour, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, religion or belief and trade union membership.
Closing date 10th December
Interviews First set of interviews taking place: 23rd Nov, Second set TBC
Yorkshire Water reserve the right to close this position before the published closing date, should the need occur. We therefore advise that you complete and submit your application as soon as possible.