Location: Bristol or Chippenham
The Group is a leading developer of IT services. We develop robust, real-world application solutions and provide supporting services that create real business benefit.
The company has delivered solutions and services in a range of markets including government, defence, marine, environment and utilities.
Working for us is always both challenging and rewarding. Our staff are enthusiastic, self-starters who thrive in a dynamic environment. At all stages of your career you will be responsible for the quality of your work. You should be able to work to deadlines, have good inter-personal skills and be flexible as regards moving from project to project; working on multiple projects simultaneously, and in assimilating new technologies.
We are currently looking to recruit a Technical Architect to contribute to a range of exciting new and existing projects within our Enterprise Solutions and Defence Division, based in Bristol and Chippenham.
From time to time you will be asked to work on customer sites throughout the UK, sometimes on long term assignments, and you must be willing to undergo security clearances.
* Provide direction and leadership to all aspects of application architecture, infrastructure and application design
* Provide guidance on the selection of IT solutions (including software packages) for projects. Being able to evaluate the potential impacts on the customer such as license costs, phasing out of legacy systems, training etc.
* Select the appropriate design standards, methods and tools and ensure they are applied effectively
* Takes full responsibility for the overall system architecture and if necessary manage the work of an architecture team
* Works with the business analyst and/or elicits the business requirements to ensure the technical solution meets the business need and can be delivered on the chosen architecture
* Identifies the commercial impacts of changes in the analysis and implementation model and reports these to project management.
* Ensures that the development team are following the agreed technical architecture and development methodologies. Assures the specification and design to assist in the development of IT systems
* Assists with pre-sales support and presentations to customers. Contributes to bids and if required manages the bid process.
* Keeps abreast of technology and develops new techniques for use in systems architecture
* Excellent communication skills. Able to provide expert advice in a digestible form to both the company and its customers.
* Ability to estimate costs and implementation timescales associated with potential solutions.
* Proven track record of designing, estimating and implementing large-scale enterprise level applications and/or web solutions
* Extensive software development and design experience and proven experience of the software development lifecycle
* In depth understanding of design and modelling techniques (e.g. UML)
* In depth understanding of estimating techniques (e.g. Cost, Effort, Risk).
* Familiarity with web application development, integration and testing (e.g. JSF, Spring)
* An understanding of various development methodologies (e.g. Agile, Waterfall, DSDM)
* An understanding of software standards (e.g. ISO9001, ISO 20000:1)
* In depth knowledge of multi-tier client-server architecture
* Experience of taking requirements and proposing system architectures
* Understanding of virtualisation strategies and sub-capacity licensing models
* Experience of security policies and models
* Excellent knowledge of web-based technologies and associated standards
* Knowledge of embedded systems or real-time systems
* Knowledge of enterprise databases (e.g. SQL-Server, ORACLE)
* Knowledge of operating systems (e.g. Windows, Linux, mobile)
* Knowledge of XML and related technologies
* Knowledge of middleware architectures (ESB, SOA)
* Understanding of Open Source licensing issues
Desirable skills - any knowledge or experience of the following:
* Understanding of project management techniques
* Experience of Quality Assurance and testing
* Understanding of cloud hosting models and their security and management implications
Any other information e.g. dual location, special security clearance, foreign languages:
* Must be prepared and willing to work on site
* Must be willing to work on defence projects
* Must be eligible to work in the UK
* Must either have SC clearance already or be able to obtain it immediately
The company offers a comprehensive range of benefits including pension, life assurance and private healthcare.
To continue your application, please click 'Apply' below and ensure you include a valid email address as you will be sent further instructions.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/77611489