Senior Structural Engineer - Marine Equipment
This employee owned business provides engineering, design, analysis, project expertise and specialist handling and access equipment to international marine, offshore, subsea and renewable energy markets.
To drive forward the engineering required for and be instrumental in the inception, planning and delivery of successful marine equipment products and projects. To provide competent technical solutions in line with client and other requirements and to work to Cost, Time and Quality specified in the budget.
Responsible for the following categories of work as directed:
- Receiving and interpreting the brief from the Project team(s) and/or Client(s) of the requirements of the equipment
- Defining functionalities and design requirements and ensuring the engineering meet the requirements set by international standards and appropriate authorities
- To carry out technical investigations and analyses to provide data for problem solving and design improvements.
- Value Engineering: Review design proposals to evaluate Constructability, Opex evaluation & robustness, Client requirements & best practice
- To perform Hand Calculations, FEA and/or Beam Model analysis to design and verify the structural strength of the design.
- Completion of site surveys and/or dead weight surveys and to write clear report.
- Perform duties required by DRA, FMEA, HAZID, HAZOP processes
- Developing the purchase specification and assist in the selection and management of suppliers
- Overseeing assembly, installation and commissioning of Equipment
Background and Qualifications
- To be of graduate or Diploma calibre or equivalent experience in a relevant engineering discipline.
- To have Membership of a relevant engineering institution (e.g. IMechE)
- Experienced in a similar role possibly previously with an equipment manufacturer or in the marine sector such as Oil & Gas or the Merchant or Royal Navy.
- Must have experience in working to equipment standards such as DNV, Lloyds, EN and ISO regulations.
- Must have experience of commissioning equipment
- Experience of participating in teams of multidiscipline engineers and designers
- Have a good level of computer literacy including Microsoft Office applications as Word, Excel etc
- Able to demonstrate sound knowledge of relevant analysis and design software such as Staad or ANSYS and be competent with Drafting Tools Solidworks and AutoCAD
- Be willing to travel globally depending upon the requirements of the projects at the time.
- Hold a valid driving licence and offshore working certificates