IT Support Engineer (Scientific environment)
Polkadotfrog are recruiting for a IT Support Engineer to work within our clients high performance computing environment in Cambridge (parking on site). The post holder will be responsible for the configuration and maintenance of the high-performance computing platform and the monitoring and maintenance of the infrastructure of the Windows-based systems. This is an interesting split role with 50% working with support Scientific Systems and 50% working with 2-3rd line support.
Within this new role you will be supporting and engaging with bioinformaticians, biostatisticians and other HPC users at the Cambridge and Kent site to support the configuration, installation and deployment of hardware and scientific software. Initially, the role will focus in the installation and configuration of the recently acquired HPC platform but will also be key in the design and support of the core infrastructure. The post holder will manage associated maintenance, network and licence contracts in partnership with their line manager. They will also be required to negotiate prices and authorise and place orders for equipment under the line manager?s delegated budget.
As the Support Engineer you will be have day-to-day management and resolution of HPC user hardware and software issues, development and deployment for software and system upgrades for the platform and will be monitoring and maintenance of the Windows system. As you grow into the role you will have the opportunity to identify and present new strategic opportunities regarding the effective management of the HPC platform in partnership with Senior Management.
Key Skills / Experience
- Professional computing qualification or degree in computing science or equivalent experience.
- Proven track record in a role as an Support engineer
- System administrator certifications preferred but not essential and can be offered
- ITIL certifications or awareness
- Windows systems experience.
- Unix/Linux systems administration.
- Experience in working with HPC systems for the life-science or Scientific sector is preferred but not essential
- Experience in configuration job schedulers for I/O bound computing.
- PC build, distribution and management.
- VMWare or other virtual environment management.
- Backup implementation and management.
- Knowledge of LAN and WAN networking concepts and administration.
- Cisco router and firewall administration.
- Router configuration.
- Must be able to drive and happy to visit other sites on occasion
- Remote software administration experience
- Bash, Python or Perl scripting.
- DBMS administration (e.g. MySQL, Oracle)
- Configuration of batch systems.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959501294