Software Engineer ll
BluJays Software Engineer ll is accountable for delivering projects on time and on budget to a high level of quality.
The post holder will be responsible for the maintenance and development of existing solutions, and for the analysis and development of new solutions to meet business requirements based on the BluJay Global Trade Network (GTN) platform.
The role will be part of a team looking after an established product within the group providing solutions used throughout BluJay, as well as working with our new integration platform and architecture.
The role demands a highly motivated individual who is able to work as a team as well as independently as required.
The position involves research, software development, design, programming and maintenance producing robust and efficient results.
Some European and International travel may be required as we are an international company and team of developers.
- To follow the development quality process and display a rigorous approach to quality assurance and testing.
- To contribute to the estimating and proposal process for all development (resources & timescales).
- Participate in regular team meetings, sharing ideas and experiences.
- Keep abreast of computing technology and industry changes; through the use of public/online resources, and attendance at product/vendor or academic seminars as required.
- Occasionally act as third line support to the BluJay Service Desk.
- To enter time in the current timesheet recording system, keeping timesheets as up to date as the business requires (currently monthly, by the last day of the month).
· A good team player
· MUST HAVE a Minimum 3 plus years of Java experience
- Understanding of OOD and Java design patterns.
- Some UK and world-wide travel
- Experience of project management in a software development environment
- Knowledge of the phases of the software development life-cycle.
- Experience in presentations and technical writing
- Windows & Linux, primarily Centos/RHEL but others considered
- Java: JDK 1.6 and above
- Understanding of Web Service standards (SOAP, XML, WSDL, UDDI, JSON)
- Databases: SQL Server/Oracle/PostgreSQL or similar
- Quality related skills: peer code reviews, code analysis tools, test harnesses and load testing
- Documentation skills: requirements / design documentation
- To meet/exceed set departmental targets
- The individual and department have utilization targets set that are measures using time entry data as well as delivery records
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Hibernate and other Java persistence frameworks
- Data skills: EDI, CSV, XSLT, XML, JSON
- JMS Brokers (e.g. ActiveMQ)
- Data querying – XPath, XQuery, SQL or similar
- CM related skills: experience with a Version Management tool (e.g. SVN or GitHub), dependency management tools (e.g. Maven & Nexus), deployment management tools (e.g. Ant) and Issue Tracking system (e.g. Jira)
- A flexible, motivated self-starter, who has the ability to work successfully both independently and closely with other team members.
- Must be highly organized and detail-orientated
- Excellent verbal and communication skills
- Must be able to work efficiently and effectively in a deadline driven environment.
- This role may involve some travel to customer sites or other BluJay locations
- Normal working hours are 09:00 to 17:30 although some flexibility is required; employees must be prepared to start early and or finish late under some circumstances to help meet deadlines or to dial into important meetings with colleagues in differing time zones
The new BluJay Solutions brand reflects the companys unique ability to help customers achieve greater velocity of global trade and operate at the speed of business even in the face of dynamic market forces and fluctuations in customer demand. With more than 40,000 carriers, shippers, forwarders, suppliers, and LSPs, the BluJay Global Trade Network is the largest in the world, creating a powerful network that delivers the benefits of universal connectivity among participants.