Infrastructure Technician Apprentice
My client is looking to recruit an Apprentice within the organisation with the aim of developing the post holder’s skills and knowledge to achieve a recognised qualification as defined within the Apprenticeship standard
Alongside the completion of their required academic modules, the Apprentice will spend time with each of the core teams within the company IT, receiving full training in the related technical and operational areas whilst at the same time providing necessary assistance with the provision of IT services.
- To gain experience of and exposure to:
o The support and development activities related to the Service Desk and Desktop support team, including the management, installation, and support of desktop operating systems, hardware and printers to allow company users effective and efficient access to networked computing facilities and day to day usage. This includes assisting with the maintenance of company wide automatic software updates such as anti-virus software as well developing and maintaining work instructions and web pages for standard procedures for use by both IT staff and users.
o The support and development activities related to the company Network Team, assisting in the provision of both wired and wireless LANs, structured cabling, security and performance monitoring, as well as the related business systems.
o The support and development activities related to the Scientific Computing and Infrastructure team, assisting in the provision of enterprise class storage, High Performance Computing and associated scientific focussed IT services.
o The support and development activities related to the Database, Web and Information Services team, assisting in the provision of the company website, scientific project websites, intranet pages and related database services.
o Project and change management within IT, working closely with the Programme Manager to ensure projects are delivered successfully and business continuity is maintained.
To complete all required Apprentice modules, attending regular progress review meetings and maintaining a consistent pass rate.
- Experience of using computers, including knowledge of desktop operating systems and hardware.
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve problems
- Excellent communication skills, including spoken English and a professional manner
- Ability to self-manage own workload and dynamically adapt to changing priorities.
- Ability to work alone or as part of a diverse team.
- Aptitude for supporting others in a professional and understanding manner.
- Ability to follow instructions and work to deadlines.
- Comply with Research Council and NERC policies at all times, including Equal Opportunities Policies, and ensure that duties are carried out in accordance with relevant policies, procedures and guidance documents as directed by NOC.
- Promote and demonstrate a personal commitment to NOC values and People Strategy.
- Promote and demonstrate a personal commitment to Working with Respect – NOC Guidance.
- Attend relevant seminars, workshops and training events and maintain professional development by completing CPD (Continuous Professional Development) appropriate to the role.
- Maintain a safe working environment by attending Health and Safety training as required and follow local codes of safe working practices and actively contribute to embedding a safety culture across NOC.
- Adopt and promote awareness of NOC’s environmental aims and other initiatives.
- Carry out other duties within the scope, spirit and general purpose of the post and adopt a flexible approach to work.
- As duties and responsibilities change this job description will be reviewed and revised in consultation with the post holder.
- Undertake such other duties within the scope of the post as may be reasonably requested by your Manager.
- Minimum 5 Grade A-C GCSE (or equivalent), including Maths & English
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/77497972