Systems Design Graduate - Stevenage
What’s the opportunity?
This opportunity is for a role as a Graduate Systems Engineer working within the design community developing complex weapon systems within the System Design and Validation Function (SD&V) at MBDA Missile Systems.
Systems Design Engineers within MBDA are responsible for conceptualising new products and technologies, writing specification, developing and managing requirements, coding interfaces between hardware and software, simulating weapon system performance and analysing missile trials data. SD&V is one of the largest and most diverse technical functions in the company, with a comprehensive range of engineering disciplines working together on the entire MBDA product portfolio.
The Systems Design Graduates will join into the Early Careers Programme (ECP) which is a structured, 2 year development programme designed to support budding engineers to make the leap from academia into business.
What will you be doing?
The ‘bread and butter’ of an MBDA Systems Engineers work is to ensure that the missile programmes are delivered on time, on cost and on quality. The primary tool at our disposal is the system requirements, which we will generate and manage. The requirements will specify every facet of the system, for example: dimensions, reliability rates, performance envelopes, interfaces to launch platforms (airframes and warships for example), shelf life, usage procedures, disposal methods and environmental impact to name a few. Once accepted, the requirements must then be proven by collecting and generating evidence through component analysis, manufacture, testing, trials and simulations in collaboration with the design authority for each subsystem. The goal is to achieve a Certificate of Design and an operational missile system.
MBDA Systems Design graduates will experience the following:
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of each element of a missile weapon system from the command and control computer to the actuator.
- Work alongside subject matter experts in areas such as mechanical design, electrical engineering, aerodynamics, simulation, radars and lethality and warheads.
- Interface with external stakeholders, subcontractors, government customers and industry consortium partners.
- You will work within teams responsible for coordinating and completing multi-million pound weapons installations.
- Working within Future Systems developing future technologies, conducting Internal Research and Development (IRAD), generating Operational Analysis and Battlespace Modelling, to guide the future growth of the company.
- Analysis of trials recordings such as firings, air carriage and subsystem testing.
- Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE).
What’s great about joining this function?
- System Design graduates are given the responsibility to deliver programme critical items of work.
- You will work alongside highly experienced individuals with varied skills and backgrounds within the Systems Design and Validation Department and other functions (Weapons Architecture, Seekers, Lethality and Warheads, Software, Business and Procurement, Simulation and Modelling etc).
- Graduates on the ECP are encouraged & supported to produce the best work they can.
- Varied day-to-day work with workload management.
- You will have the opportunity to use your knowledge and influence to inform programme level design decisions.
- As the ECP progresses, you may experience teams which vary in size anywhere from a handful of people to larger teams of 20-30.
- You get the chance to experience projects at all stages of the CADMID lifecycle.
- The Systems Engineering experience you will gain will cover many provable systems engineering methods
You may have the opportunity to interact with the customer and end user.
While on the graduate scheme you will undertake four 6 month long placements. One of these placements will be external, outside of SD&V.
This is an opportunity to experience another part of the company which does not have to be in an engineering discipline, for example graduates have completed external placements in Business and Procurement and Executive Support. The most popular external placements have been to the Seeker Division and to Lethality and Warheads.
There is also the possibility to complete an external placement as a secondment to the Customer or to other Defence companies (subject to availability and appropriateness).
You will have access to the full breadth of training courses and facilities that MBDA offers. For the SD&V function some relevant courses you may take part in include DOORS Training, MBSE Training and Writing Requirements.
You will also benefit from training and support provided by experienced engineers within the department and project teams.
Who and what we are looking for from you?
- Hold, or be working towards a minimum 2:2 honours degree (or equivalent qualification) or Masters level degree in Aeronautical, Aerospace, Electrical or Systems Engineering, Maths, Physics, or similar. Applicants with relevant post-graduate qualifications are also encouraged.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Effective communicators; able to demonstrate skills in presenting and technical report writing.
- Have an interest in the defence industry.
- We are looking for someone who has initiative and drive, has strong attention to detail and problem solving skills. Proactive in finding & collecting information and thinking about further steps. Capable of quickly understanding complex problems.
- Ability to demonstrate experience of working in teams and taking on responsibility.
- Able to derive logical solutions to inform design decisions.
- All applications will be considered.
Why you should come and work at MBDA
- With some of the most sophisticated technology in defence, MBDA is Europe’s largest guided weapons company and with this in mind we continually look to broaden our existing talent base whilst maintaining a strategic edge, by exploiting new markets and new applications for our world-class technology base.
- Our success is based on the dedication of our people and we strive to offer each and every employee an enjoyable, challenging and rewarding career.
Our work is complex, challenging and innovative. It takes a range of professionals across the full engineering and commercial spectrum to carry it out. Whatever field our people specialise in, they all share the same mind-set: a drive to make things work better and to redefine the established standards.
Why you should come and work at MBDA?
- MBDA, a world leader in missiles and missile systems, is a multi-national group with over 10,000 employees on industrial facilities in France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom and a presence in the United States
- With some of the most sophisticated technology in defence, MBDA offers a wide range of advanced weapon systems for maritime Superiority, Air Dominance, Ground Based Air Defence and Battlefield Engagement
- We work with over 90 armed forces, successfully integrating our systems onto multiple platforms.
- Has a technology pedigree that allows innovative and responsive products to be created year upon year
- Our success is based on the dedication of our people and we strive to offer each and every employee an enjoyable, challenging and rewarding career
- MBDA is ranked 12th in the Sunday Times Top 30 Best Big Companies to Work For, demonstrating successful growth and high levels of employee retention.
Our work is complex, challenging and innovative. It takes a range of professionals across the full engineering and commercial spectrum to carry it out. Whatever field our people specialise in, they all share the same mind-set: a drive to make things work better and to redefine the established standards
What would you get?
Competitive joining bonus & salaries, flexible working, paid overtime, a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level) and superb learning and development opportunities.
Please note that in order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible for SC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news.
LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence)
This job was originally posted as www.milkround.com/job/76772897