Applications to join the UK Apprenticeship are open all year round for HSBC employees who have worked in an entry-level role for a minimum of three months.
The UK Apprenticeship is suitable for individuals who do not go to university but are interested in pursuing externally recognised professional qualifications while working in our retail branch network, commercial business centres, IT and/or operational departments.Who can apply
There are two points of entry to this programme:
Entry Point 1. For school and college leavers: Aimed at individuals in sixth form or college education who are keen to start a career in banking straightaway instead of going to university, and want to hit the ground running, perform well and contribute directly to business success. This is a development programme where you will keep learning and be provided with the opportunity to progress into management and leadership positions in HSBC.
To be considered for the programme, you will:
- Have decided to start your career in an entry-level role rather than completing a higher education qualification
- Not possess a degree or a degree equivalent such as an HND
- Meet the educational criteria required for some of our programmes, such as specific GCSE and A-level requirements or equivalent
- Have a strong interest in a career in financial services
- Be keen and motivated to find out more about HSBC and be prepared to complete the recruitment process which will comprise an online application, online test, telephone and face-to-face interviews
Entry point 2. For individuals joining HSBC in a direct entry-level role: Aimed at those who first join HSBC in a direct entry-level position such as a cashier in one of our branches, or a customer service adviser in one of our call centres or operational areas. Those who perform well in their role in the first three months of joining HSBC will be provided with an opportunity to join the programme.
To be considered for the programme, you will:
- Possess a strong desire for continuous learning and want to pursue a qualification
- Have a keen interest in developing a successful career in banking and management at HSBC
- Understand the importance of being customer-oriented, possessing strong customer service skills
- Be willing to join the Apprenticeship programme at anytime throughout the year
You will undertake an Advanced Apprenticeship which will lead to recognition against industry standard competencies as well as provide you the opportunity to gain a professional knowledge-based qualification. Some of these professional qualifications can lead, with further study, to a banking degree. You will also have the opportunity to meet new people, develop your professional network, and be supported and guided by an experienced team of trainers and coaches, while earning a competitive salary.Learning, development and support
Designed to help you build on your talents and gain new skills, the Apprenticeship programme comprises four components:
- A competency-based qualification that is recognised nationally which you'll gain from undertaking your day-to-day job
- A knowledge-based qualification that is recognised nationally. This could be, for example, an Institution of Financial Services (IFS) or customer service qualification, depending on your role and the qualification you undertake
- An introduction to employee rights and responsibilities
- Functional skills including communication, IT and use of numbers
In addition to on-the-job training, you will have access to dedicated coaches, the wider learning and development curriculum offered at HSBC, as well as opportunities to join our Employee Network Groups and participate in sustainability activities.Potential career paths
Your professional learning and development will continue after completing your Apprenticeship and at every stage of your career at HSBC. You will be guided and encouraged to drive your own career based on your performance and career aspirations. Development opportunities will vary according to your role and individual needs.
As you continue to develop, we'll actively support you to work towards gaining additional qualifications, taking on extra and different responsibilities and progressing your career.
Upon successful completion of the Apprenticeship programme, you will be invited to join “ConnectUs”, our alumni group comprising other post-programme apprentices and colleagues who have completed graduates programmes. The alumni group will connect you to other UK colleagues, allowing new friendships and business relationships to be formed, as well as enable the continuation of your professional development through activities such as forum development days, lunch and learns and networking opportunities.Benefits
- Competitive salary
- Performance-related bonus scheme (for certain roles)
- Contributory pension scheme
- Holiday entitlement