Graduate Programme 2018 - Tax (Nottingham)
Our people are at the heart of our continued success. Being part of KPMG is being part of a community of talented and innovative people, working together to have a positive, lasting impact on clients. No one type of person succeeds at KPMG; a diverse business requires diverse personalities, characters and perspectives. Whoever you are, there is a place for you here.About the programme
As a constantly changing and increasingly high-profile field, Tax can offer a surprisingly broad range of career paths to ambitious graduates. As part of a dynamic and successful area of our business, our Tax team works with a wide range of organisations and individuals, helping them to implement the tax approaches that best suit their needs.
Our Graduate Programme in Tax will provide you with two highly desirable and marketable Professional Qualifications in Accountancy and Tax. Completing a dual qualification will equip you with the knowledge and technical expertise to propel you into successful career in tax but will also afford you with the breadth of accountancy knowledge to allow you to diversify and experience other professional services, should you wish to.Key skills required
- Excellent communications skills in a range of situations both written and oral
- Collaborative and proactive – works well in a team but also uses initiative to meet deadlines
- Ability to present in a clear and concise manner
- Commitment to delivering high quality work
- Ability to prioritise tasks, works independently and manage projects
- Commercial awareness and an interest in the financial services industry
During the recruitment process, you will need to demonstrate KPMG's Global Behavioural Capabilities, which will give us confidence you’ll be successful in the firm. By this, we mean the skills and behaviours that every person here at KPMG shares. To us, ‘behaviours’ are more than the way you act – they represent the set of values that underpin our business.
KPMG's Global Behavioural Capabilities are:
- Career Motivation
- Delivers Quality
- Drives Collaboration and Inclusion
- Strives for Continual Improvement
- Exercises Professional Judgement
- Makes an Impact
- Seizes Business Opportunities
- Demonstrates Innovation and Curiosity
All Tax Graduates will study towards a dual Accountancy and Tax Professional qualification.
The ICAS Chartered Accountancy (CA) plus ICAS Tax Professional (ITP) qualification will be undertaken by trainees joining our London and Scotland Offices.
Trainees joining our regional office locations will follow the ICAEW Audit Chartered Accountant qualification plus the CIOT Chartered Tax Accountancy programme.ICAEW ACA/CTA joint programme (Regional Offices)
This programme stages the ACA and CTA examinations over a slightly extended training agreement of 39 months. Although a marginally longer training agreement compared to other programmes, all trainees are given the same opportunity for progression at 36 months.
Trainees will attend courses and training with Audit and Advisory graduate peers who are undertaking the ACA qualification. The Empowered programme consists of a blend of live online tuition and classroom-based revision, where the onus is on trainees to take ownership of their studies and help shape their learning. The programme utilises innovative technology and is delivered via Online Classroom Live and Recorded courses for the taught phase, and in-centre classroom courses for the revision phase. It also has wraparound support in the format of coaches, online content and study sessions which means there is a form of support for every need.
The blended approach enables individuals to study and learn the technical material at a pace suited to their learning style. It also ensures you are at the right technical level before moving onto the revision phase to enable you to focus on your exam technique. The structure of the programme spreads the ACA examinations over the lifetime of the three-year training contract so that you are able to build up your technical knowledge over time, and can apply what you are learning in training to your workplace experience, gradually.What your job will involve
Whether you join on the CA and ITP Intensive Dual Qualification Pathway or the ACA/CTA joint qualification Pathway, after joining the office you can expect to be involved in the following activities:
- Preparation of a range of tax advisory and compliance related work
- Acting as a key member of the client service team with smaller clients on day to day tax matters and working with the wider client service team on larger clients
- Working with specialists from other tax areas and other disciplines to ensure that all relevant KPMG offerings are discussed with clients and targets
- Keeping internal control records up to date and ensuring compliance with quality control
- Ensuring fees are raised regularly, identifying situations where overruns can be billed and assisting senior members of the department in billing for advisory work
Within our recruitment process, we look for more than just your academic results. This wider perspective helps us ensure that we are giving you the best opportunity to demonstrate your potential. We assess your application against KPMG’s Global Behavioural Capabilities and a number of other metrics to build our confidence in whether you will be a success at KPMG.
As a general rule, you'll be expected to meet the following requirements:
- Minimum grade B GCSE* Maths
- Minimum grade B GCSE* English Language
- Minimum of 300 UCAS Tariff points*
- Minimum 2:1 degree in any discipline * or equivalent
Please note that we only consider a candidate's 'top' 3 A-level grades and do not accept General Studies.
- Salary is competitive
At KPMG, your long-term future is every bit as important to us as it is to you. That’s why our aim is to give you experiences that will stay with you for a lifetime. Whether it’s great training and development, the chance to move around the business or volunteering opportunities – you’ll gain a wealth of experiences on which to build a rewarding career. We’re proud of our culture – it’s one that recognises hard work, encourages new ways of thinking and embraces diversity and inclusion. We also have an innovative spirit which inspires what we do and how we do it – striving to be better lies at the heart of who we are.
We’re at our best when you’re at your best – that’s why we’ve created ‘Our Deal’ and ‘The Academy’. They’re our way of recognising and rewarding our colleagues for giving their best at work. Through ‘The Academy’, you’ll have access to communities which will support and develop you so that you build your skills and career. From secondment programmes and preferential banking to cash towards student loan payments and your birthday off, we’re making sure that our people have an amazing experience.