Data Governance Manager
Data Governance Manager
Job ID: R-58283
Data Governance Manager
Location: London, Eastleigh - Flexible
Aviva provides around 31 million customers worldwide with insurance, savings and investment products. We are the UK?s largest insurer and one of Europe?s leading providers of life and general insurance.
We combine strong life insurance, general insurance and asset management businesses under one powerful brand. We are committed to serving our customers well in order to build a stronger, sustainable business, which makes a positive contribution to society, and for which our people are proud to work.
Purpose of the Role
The Aviva Data Governance team is a Group-level function responsible for setting the global strategy, policy and direction across Aviva group companies. It is part of the broader Group CISO function responsible for supporting the management of Aviva?s critical data assets globally. The Data Governance Manager will support the delivery of the Aviva Data Governance arrangements through:
- Facilitating cross-business collaboration.
- Promoting data as a valuable asset.
- Monitoring accountability in the business and transparency of required Data Governance policies, processes and cultural requirements.
- Oversight and provide SME support to drive compliance with the Global Data Governance Standard.
- Monitoring and support business remediation relating to the Data Governance risk, control and governance arrangements across the Group.
Duties & Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of the role are centred on the 8 principles of Data Governance as defined within the Global Data Governance Business Standard. These are:
Principle 1 - Accountable
- Monitor accountability for Data Governance in the Markets to ensure there is evidence of a clear line of accountability to the Board.
- Instigates and manages the annual review of roles and responsibilities for each Data Governance role.
- Maintains a central register of Data Governance roles across the Group.
- Act as Secretary to the Global Data Governance Council and Pan UK Forum, specifically:.
- Propose the monthly Agenda to drive delivery of Data Governance and encourage the business to make informed, risk-based decisions on what we do with data.
- Create, obtain approval and distribute the meeting papers.
- Document the minutes and actions from the meeting and distribute.
- Instigate and manage the annual review of the Terms of Reference for the Committee and ensure these are cascaded to the business to ensure local Governance forum alignment.
- Monitor Business Area attendance to ensure representation is adequate.
- Provide SME support and monitor Business compliance with the Global Data Governance Directive.
- Support the operation of the Data Governance Control Framework across the Group.
- Monitor at Group-level and report to CISO on the controls identified in the framework and the CORR risks.
- Provide SME support to the business in agreeing remediation actions to address key risks and issues where necessary.
Principle 2 - Transparent
- Maintain and monitor the central map of Data Governance related policies and processes aligned to the Global Data Governance Standard.
- Identify where Group, or local level policies and processes are required to support good Data Governance practices.
- Identify and share best practice across the Group.
- In conjunction with CISO Risk, manage the annual review of the Global Data Governance Standard ensuring internal and external input is considered, e.g. local legal and regulatory requirements, local stakeholder input.
- Oversight, monitor and report on the Data Governance risk and control arrangements for the Group.
- Collaboration with Group Risk to embed Data Governance into the risk event reporting process.
- Review and update the Data Governance mandatory training modules on an annual basis.
- Monitor and report on the adoption of Data Governance training by Group-wide third party suppliers.
- Oversee and drive completion of training across the Group and 3rd Parties.
Principle 3 ? Collect / Create
- Facilitate and propose for agreement, Group-wide, cross-business Area and strategic purposes for data collection or creation.
- Monitor the collection of consent, where required, for the Group?s use of data.
- Identify and propose where enhancements are required.
- Input into Group-wide strategic change programmes / projects.
- Support the design and implementation of ?Data Governance by Design? in all business and IT change methodologies.
- Oversight, monitor and drive the adoption and embedding of Data Governance requirements through change processes.
Principle 4 ? Store / Secure
- Through engagement with the Data Security team manage initiatives to consistently improve the security control environment where critical data is held and maintained.
- Monitor compliance with data security arrangements in the business.
Principle 5 ? Transfer / Share / Use
- Support the maintenance of a central register of all internal parties / legal entities across the Group receiving transferred or shared data.
- Support the maintenance of a central register of all external parties receiving shared data.
- Support the embedding of Data Governance into the Group procurement and outsourcing processes.
- Monitor the adoption of the Data Governance requirements within the Group Procurement & Outsourcing processes.
- Support the maintenance of a central view of the basis on which data is being shared / used by the business.
- Monitor implementation and maintenance of the correct internal data sharing agreements or contractual agreements. Ensure the formal approvals are in place with the correct Data Governance clauses.
- Promote the use of data by the business to drive business growth and innovation.
- Support and advise the business on their use of data for new initiatives.
- Support the development of data use in conjunction with the Customer Insight, Marketing and IT teams to enhance Aviva?s data strategy.
Principle 6 ? Hold / Discover
- Monitor the ability of the business to maintain data which is available, accurate, complete and able to be discovered within required timescales.
- Maintain a central register of legal or regulatory data discovery requirements / processes as a key risk area for Data Governance arrangements.
- Monitor business compliance with the application and lifting of Embargos via the central register held by Group Legal.
Principle 7 ? Retain / Archive
- Monitor the application of retention requirements against data being transferred to or from or being used by different business areas.
- Monitor compliance with retention schedule arrangements and the application and use of correct retention periods.
- Monitor the central view of the type and format of data being sent to the Group Archive for historic reference.
Principle 8 ? Destroy
- Monitor compliance with data destruction arrangements in the business.
Skills & Experience
- Understanding of the information lifecycle through experience in data management and/or data governance activities.
- Advanced experience in stakeholder management, being able to grow and develop the stakeholder engagement across a global community.
- Experience of Group level versus Country level dynamics.
- High organisational and planning skills in order to scope projects and initiatives; clear evidence of seeing an initiative through from conception to implementation.
- Effective Program Management experience.
- Effective analytical capability to analyse information, identify gaps or trends, identify improvements based on analytical findings.
- Solid understanding of the risk and control environment to support the drive to improve the control environment, including system controls, system rules, manual controls, data quality controls.
- Logical understanding of the IT environment and how data is transferred through the IT infrastructure.
- Experience in tools used for data management and data governance.
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills, in particular Excel, PowerPoint and SharePoint.
What will I get from this role
- Salary up to £70,000 dependent on experience.
- Annual performance related pay review and bonus.
- Defined contribution pension scheme.
- Generous holiday allowance.
- Excellent flexi-benefits package.
Bring to Aviva what makes you different and we?ll support you to do the best work of your life. We encourage applications from everyone who wants to help us achieve our purpose of helping our customers to Defy Uncertainty.
One of Aviva?s core values is Care More, and this is brought to life through the flexible ways we like to work. This may include working from home some of the time, or flexible work schedules to accommodate
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959528698