Rate is negotiable based on your experience & expectations.
Our client is actively recruiting for a Server Engineer for an ASAP start to be based in Cambridge (CB2) on a 3 month contract with possible extension.
To design, implement and maintain the core IT systems across for all 30 departments. This includes the provision of a wide data and telephone network, data storage (600TB) using enterprise grade NetApp SAN equipment and infrastructure servers (160) using VMWare, Windows AD and Linux. Combined they provide the essential IT infrastructure for 2500 core staff, and services for a further 5000 users across a new site, as well as multiple sites across south Cambridge.
This is a specialist IT position and it requires specific skills to support the enterprise level infrastructure. It has a high level of responsibility and it requires regular work to be performed out of hours.
Key duties and responsibilities
Design, implement and maintain central IT data storage and archive systems.
- This provides secure, fully redundant data storage for approximately 2500 staff using enterprise level equipment.
- Management of NetApp architecture O\S and equipment to deliver 600TB of storage, backups and disaster recovery mechanisms
Design, implement and maintain central IT servers.
- The Clinical School has approximately 80 servers that provide the IT infrastructure. These are installed across multiple server rooms and physical sites.
- Plan, design and implement the VMWare environment, using VSphere 5, VMotion, Windows server, SQL and Linux.
- Provide Windows Active Directory services to approximately 2500 staff. Services include authentication, printing, operating systems updates, automated rollouts, patching and anti-virus management.
- Provide individual managed servers that provide specialist IT services specifically designed for research projects.
Manage, maintain and service the Server room Infrastructure.
- The team are responsible for maintaining two server rooms, that host all of the centrally maintained Infrastructure equipment. The combined value of the equipment hosted is circa £750,000, excluding the value of the data that is hosted.
- Responsible for hosting Service equipment for all departments, and collaborative organisations
- In liaison with other key departments to provide a co-hosting environment to provide other groups remote server room hosting.
Design, implement and maintain external connectivity services.
- To provide web servers for all associated research groups.
- To provide email services to 2300 active accounts with webmail and shared resources such as calendars.
- Provide home workers and remote staff with secure access to IT resources using Citrix XenApp 6.5 infrastructure for 200 staff.
Design, implement and maintain the data network.
- To provide data network access to approximately 2500 computers.
- To provide connection to approximately 1200 telephones.
- Ensure network security with Cisco ASA firewalls and Microsoft ISA gateways, provide encrypted access with VPNs.
- To provide local encrypted wireless services.
- To provide network support at related remote sites.
Advise and liaise with Helpdesk Staff.
- Provide second line support and advice to IT Helpdesk staff on difficult IT technical problems or advanced IT services.
- Provide the IT Helpdesk with IT resources and training as required.
Be available to respond to major IT infrastructure problems outside of normal working hours.
- Included as part of an on call rota that provides monitoring and response to infrastructure problems ? servers and network. On call for a seven day week once every four weeks.
- Hours covered are evenings, nights and weekends.
- Includes holidays such as Christmas, Easter and Bank Holidays.
Be available for out of hours infrastructure changes and maintenance.
- IT infrastructure requires regular maintenance and is taken offline outside working hours. This position requires that staff are available for this work on request at evenings and weekends.
Essential knowledge, skills and experience required for role
Education & qualifications
- Degree (Hons) in an appropriate subject. Relevant qualifications and/or experience in relevant equipment.
Specialist knowledge & skills
- The role requires knowledge in the following specialist IT areas:
- Windows Enterprise Server and Domain Environments, Active Directory, VMWare vSphere 5, NetApp Unified Storage Architecture, HP Blade Server, Exchange version 2010, Citrix Presentation Server, Microsoft ISA, knowledge of O\S scripting (Powershell, Java), SNMP Monitoring, Backup and Archive procedures.
Interpersonal & communication skills
- The ability to explain detailed technical matters in a clear and precise manner with other IT staff within the department as well as those from external contractors Staff.
- Must be able to advise non-IT teaching and research staff on IT issues, solutions and limitations in a clear and concise manner.
- Should be capable of being able to make training presentations to small groups of technical and non-technical staff.
- The role holder would also be expected to attend non-technical management meetings to provide contributions.
- Minimum of 5 years experience working within a large scale and commercially orientated IT environment. Minimum of 3 years? experience in an Enterprise grade Network and Systems infrastructure. The role holder would be expected to have considerable experience of working in both an autonomous and group environments. Appropriate server and network environment experience to an advanced level are a pre-requisite for the post-holder.
- Required to work outside normal working hours as required.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959529841