Software Developer Apprentice
This is the UK's leading provider of insurance, travel, personal finance and healthcare products and services tailored to the needs of the over 50s.
Based in their Folkestone offices, you will be joining over 5000 members of staff across 5 sites.
An opportunity has arisen to be part of the expanding and dynamic IT team within the Saga Group.
The primary role of a software developer is to build and test simple, high quality code across front end, logic and database layers.
- To deliver high quality, secure developments that can be deployed quickly and efficiently to the agreed specifications within planned release schedules
- Assist with the development of and act upon additional opportunities as directed to improve efficiencies, quality of output, responsiveness and the overall profile of the technical development team
- To produce high quality, secure, software and software enhancements as directed, that can be deployed quickly and efficiently, to the agreed specifications, within the agreed timescales
- To support and assist other members of the IT Services team on assigned development projects and with the resolution of issues as they arise
- Maintain good working relationships with other team members
- Provide assistance to the Head of IT and Release Manager to ensure that appropriately detailed, accurate and concise documentation is produced and maintained for all assigned development projects and processes and in accordance with the requirements of CIP ISO standards
- Work with other departments as directed on assigned projects that deliver improved functionality, security and overall value to our customers
The role includes a support network and training to support the successful application in their role but the following items are desirable:
- An understanding of Microsoft language such as VB.NET or C#
- Experience in software developing, coding or business analyst would be an advantage
- Understanding of difference between agile and waterfall software development methodologies would be an advantage
- Full development lifecycle understanding would be an advantage
- Successful applicant must be able to travel across sites and to attend formal training
- A passion for IT and desire commitment to learning new skills.
- Excellent communication (both verbal and written), report writing and presentation skills.
- Attention to detail while still being able to view the 'big picture'.
- Logical and creative thinking
- Analytical and a problem solver
- A thorough and organised approach
- Initiative, innovative with a good deal of flexibility.
- Able to work well as part of a team in order to meet departmental objectives
6 x GCSE (or equivalent) at grades A-C including Maths plus GCSE English (or equivalent) at grade D or above [Strong mathematical ability is essential for this role]
- 20 days holiday
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Company pension scheme
- Private medical and life cover after one years' service
- Annual company bonus
- Discounts on travel and retail outlets
- Parking on-site
"QA's Apprenticeship programmes may be funded in part by the European Union through the European Social Fund, which supports the development of employment opportunities and a skilled workforce."
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959529595