Desktop & Automation Specialist
Huntswood, a Best Companies Employer, is the UK's leading specialist resourcing and consultancy firm focused on governance, risk and compliance in the areas of regulatory conduct and financial crime.
We are recruiting for a Desktop & Automation Specialist to join our IT team. The role is based in Reading, Berkshire.
Salary up to £30,000 per annum.
Reporting To: Technical Service Desk Manager
- Huntswood's success relies on its computing facilities being available, effective and efficient.
- The purpose of the role of the Desktop & Automation Specialist is to act as a senior point of contact for all Desktop matters. They will be a part of a team of second line responders - a first point of contact for all requests logged with the Desktop Support Team. In responding to incidents, user requests and problems, the Desktop & Automation Specialist offers a professional, courteous, speedy and effective service to ensure disruption to Huntswood's business processes and clients are kept to a minimum.
- The Desktop & Automation Specialist will work with the Technical Service Desk Manager to assist with implementing auto deployment strategies such as new starter enrolment and application/image deployment alongside ensuring that issues are effectively escalated to the Escalation Technician teams as required in accordance with agreed Service Levels and ensuring communication with the end-user is maintained throughout the lifecycle of an IT ticket.
- Huntswood takes information security seriously and has achieved certification to ISO27001. The Desktop & Automation Specialist ensures that Huntswood's computing facilities are kept secure and that new proposals, installations, upgrades and changes do not breach Huntswood's security policy or expose us to unnecessary risk.
- Design, automate and continuously improve solutions for desktop applications, desktop/laptop images and end user new starter enrolment/movers/leavers.
- Provide direction and execute on desktop/laptop security, continuous integration, improvement of existing features, deployment and rollout of new services, monitoring and IT operations practices
- Develop an innovate approach to simplify and streamline processes to increase reliability, improve efficiency and minimize errors.
- Desktop, Laptop and Mobile remote management
- Telephony VOIP
- Manage ticket in an ITSM system "ServiceNow or Cherwell/equivalent
- Communication solutions such as Intranet - SharePoint 2013 Online
- Physical access control
- Identity management / device access controls including multi-factor authentication via on-site and remote access
- Device security and malware avoidance
- Ensure the technology, systems & support are optimised for customer facing individuals or teams working remotely from the office - from design through to remediation of issues.
- Ensure that all incidents, requests and problems are dealt with in a timely manner and if required escalated to the appropriate team if they are not able to be resolved within the agreed timescale.
- Work closely with the Head Office Systems Specialist to gain a greater understanding of the applications that are in use by Head Office Staff to ensure that the desktop support team can support the users with these applications.
- Assist the Technical Service Desk Manger in delivering a Continuous Service Improvement Plan.
- Work with Infrastructure Technicians and Technology Lead to deliver projects for Huntswood.
- Assist with training and mentoring Desktop Specialists.
- Ensure Huntswood's computing facilities are kept secure to reduce the risk of breaches of confidentiality, integrity and availability.
Proficient and essential skills
- Experience with Continous Intergration and Delivery concepts inc. IaaC (Infrastructure as a Code) and toolsets i.e SaltStack, Chef, Puppet etc.
- Windows PowerShell ISE scriptingVB script and coding or equivalent
- Good level of understanding of recipe coding, attribute hierarchy and cookbook design
- Good level of understanding of a Microsoft Windows Active Directory environment.
- Able to demonstrate a good understanding of the major Microsoft packages namely Microsoft Windows and Office/O365.
- Good level of understanding of TCP/IP.
- SCCM or equivalent
- AV console management
- SharePoint Online 2013
- Current IT qualification, preferably Microsoft, Cisco or VMware. Or the ability to demonstrate the equivalent experience and knowledge.
- Previously managed desktop, mobility and collaboration services.
- Previously managed telephony services, ideally in a call-centre environment.
- Experience of large and small technology change projects within a fast paced and demanding corporate culture.
- Ability to demonstrate an expert understanding of the major Microsoft packages namely Microsoft Windows and Office 365, including licencing and cloud services.
- Advanced understanding of physical computing environments including, physical servers (preferably HP), SAN technology (preferably EMC Clariion with Unisphere) and networking (preferably HP Procurve).
- Any of the following IT qualifications; CompTIA A+, Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP), Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA).
- Experience of supporting any of the following; Microsoft Dynamics CRM, Hitec Labs DatastoreDSX, Epicor E4SE/EBO, Sage Snowdrop, Staff care, TrustID
- Experience of working with ISO27001:2005 onwards.
- Advanced understanding of LAN/WAN technology.
- Degree in a relevant subject.
To work with, Huntswood's employees are described as dependable, driven and collaborative. The job holder should be able to demonstrate they are;
- Confidential, reliable and genuine
- Dynamic, passionate and determined
- Friendly, compassionate and cooperative
"It's not just about what we do, but the way we do it. And it's our values that make us special."
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959523069