Huntswood, a Best Companies Employer, is the UK's leading specialist resourcing and consultancy firm focused on governance, risk and compliance in the areas of regulatory conduct and financial crime.
We are recruiting for a Desktop Specialist to join our growing IT team. The role is based in Reading, Berkshire.
Salary up to £30000 per annum.
Reporting to: Technical Service Desk Manager
The purpose of the role of the Desktop Specialist is to act as a senior point of contact for all Desktop matters. They will be a part of a team of second line responders - a first point of contact for all requests logged with the Desktop Support Team. The Desktop & Automation Specialist will work with the Technical Service Desk Manager to assist with implementing auto deployment strategies, alongside ensuring that issues are effectively escalated to the Escalation Technician teams as required and ensuring communication with the end-user is maintained throughout the life-cycle of an IT ticket.
- Design, automate and continuously improve solutions for desktop applications, desktop/laptop images and end user new starter enrolment/movers/leavers.
- Provide direction and execute on desktop/laptop security, continuous integration, improvement of existing features, deployment and roll-out of new services, monitoring and IT operations practices
- Develop an innovate approach to simplify and streamline processes to increase reliability, improve efficiency and minimise errors.
- Provide 2nd/3rd Line support
- Communication solutions such as Intranet - SharePoint 2013 Online
- Identity management / device access controls including multi-factor authentication via on-site and remote access
- Local storage encryption
- Wi-Fi connectivity & experience
- Ensure the technology, systems & support are optimised for customer facing individuals or teams working remotely from the office - from design through to remediation of issues.
- Ensure that all incidents, requests and problems are dealt with in a timely manner and if required escalated to the appropriate team if they are not able to be resolved within the agreed timescale.
- Assist the Technical Service Desk Manger in delivering a Continuous Service Improvement Plan.
- Work with Infrastructure Technicians and Technology Lead to deliver projects for Huntswood.
- Assist with training and mentoring Desktop Specialists.
- Be a true team player, working professionally and constructively with colleagues offering help and assistance with incidents, user requests, problems and projects.
- Ensure Huntswood's computing facilities are kept secure to reduce the risk of breaches of confidentiality, integrity and availability.
- Ensuring the IT Team's documentation is kept up to date.
- Carry out manual handling, moving desktop equipment during desk and office moves as well as project set ups.
Proficient and essential skills
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Delivery concepts inc. IaaC (Infrastructure as a Code) and toolsets i.e. Salt Stack, Chef, Puppet etc.
- Windows PowerShell ISE scripting
- VB script and coding or equivalent
- Good level of understanding of recipe coding, attribute hierarchy and cookbook design
- Good level of understanding of a Microsoft Windows Active Directory environment.
- Able to demonstrate a good understanding of the major Microsoft packages namely Microsoft Windows and Office/O365.
- Good level of understanding of TCP/IP.
- SCCM or equivalent
- AV console management
- Office 365 apps
- SharePoint Online 2013
- Current IT qualification, preferably Microsoft, Cisco or VMware. Or the ability to demonstrate the equivalent experience and knowledge.
- Previously managed desktop, mobility and collaboration services.
- Previously managed telephony services, ideally in a call-centre environment.
- Able to demonstrate excellent problem management skills.
- Excellent business communication skills, with the skills to communicate at all levels.
- Excellent time management.
- An out-of-the-box thinker with a passion for IT and how information technology and new technology can be used to improve Huntswood.
- Solution and service oriented able to measure & improve the employee experience of the sum of the parts of technology provision.
- Experience of large and small technology change projects within a fast paced and demanding corporate culture.
- Capable of taking a holistic approach to IT security, data protection and new initiatives such as GDPR balancing the need for the business system owners to manage their risks rather than emasculating functionality.
- Ability to demonstrate an expert understanding of the major Microsoft packages namely Microsoft Windows and Office 365, including licensing and cloud services.
- Advanced level of understanding of TCP/IP.
- Advanced understanding of physical computing environments including, physical servers (preferably HP), SAN technology (preferably EMC Clariion with Unisphere) and networking (preferably HP Procurve).
- Expert level of understanding of backup strategies and technologies, preferably Symantec Backup exec or Veeam VMware backup. Backup to cloud experience also useful.
- Any of the following IT qualifications; CompTIA A+, Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP), Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA).
- Experience of working with ISO27001:2005 onwards.Advanced understanding of LAN/WAN technology.
To work with, Huntswood's employees are described as dependable, driven and collaborative. The job holder should be able to demonstrate they are;
- Confidential, reliable and genuine
- Dynamic, passionate and determined
- Friendly, compassionate and cooperative
"It's not just about what we do, but the way we do it. And it's our values that make us special."
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959523053