Estimating Assistant for leading Civil Engineering, Rail, and Utilities contractor
To provide support to the estimating team so as to reduce the workload of the estimator so that they can solely concentrate on the estimating function. The role will be varied with the opportunity for expansion with the right candidate.
Context of Job
The estimating function is undergoing renewal as the team is changing due to retirements. The post holder sought is an individual with a good knowledge of excel/spreadsheets and be able to prepare a bill of quantities for the estimator/buyer to work from. The post is suitable to individuals from operational and commercial backgrounds with industry experience.
The post holder will directly report to the Estimator but will be ultimately responsible to the Strategy and Development Associate Director and directly to the Chief Estimator.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The support function of the estimating role and this will include:
- Check tender documents and create a document/drawing register.
- Printing documents and drawings as required.
- Importing the bill of quantities into our estimating software Conquest and checking that the import was uploaded correctly.
- Attending site visits with the other members of the assigned bid team to meet the client.
- Attending site visits with the supply chain to provide them with a greater understanding of the site wide area and constraints.
- Creating templates, spreadsheets including population to assist the estimator as instructed.
- Dialoguing with the supply chain to chase quotes or to get further clarity on quotes received.
- Create a comparison spreadsheet for materials and/or subby’s.
- Liaison with the estimating buyer to ensure price procurement of materials and subcontracts by due date.
- Drafting of any clarifications/queries for the Bid Manager to send to the client.
- Production of Bill of Quantities/Schedules as required.
- Completion of all tender documentation for return by due date and this may entail on some occasions the hand delivery of tenders.
Skills and Knowledge
- Computer literate. Excel intermediate or advanced level essential.
- An awareness of different Methods of Measurement.
- Technical construction knowledge (not absolutely essential).
- Commercial awareness (not absolutely essential).
- Resourcefulness and ability to work under pressure.
- Works well in a team environment.
- Identify and allow for Health and Safety issues to provide a safe place of work at all times.
- Good communicator.
- Some experience of working within site environment.
- Experience of working within a team.
Skills and Knowledge
- Ability to work under pressure to meet return dates.
- Practical ability to realise alternative solutions.
- Be well presented when dealing with clients.
- Good team player.
- Set a good example to all employees.
- Able to commit to the concept that Health, Safety and Environment are the number one priority for the Organisation.
- Able to commit to the concept of Equal Opportunity in employment.
- Full and Valid Driver’s Licence.
- This will be dependent on the skill level of the candidate.
- A training plan will be put in place for those that are less experienced and will be agreed on a job role basis.